Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CyberGenX

What DVD Burner to get?

Finally! Momma is lettin' me get a DVD Burner. Only i really don't know which to get.

Uses: I make movies and will be making copies for use in a multitude of home DVD players. Back up.

So I need a burner that will make movie DVDS that will play in a large percent of DVD players. I also need the burner to be under $300.

I was thinking of the Pioneer 4X, i have heard it is pretty spiffy.

Someone gimme some feedback...

i have sonys recorder for 4 monthes now and i dont have any problems.(xbox backup-ps2 backup-movies backup)

NEC DVD+RW ND-1000A is the burner i got. Packaged as that Officemax deal above.

What is the difference between DVD -R and DVD +R discs?

Quote:
What is the difference between DVD -R and DVD +R discs?

Don't you think you should have found this out before you bought a drive?

From what I can tell, the formats are very similar. Most DVD drives and set top boxes will read from either type of disc, so you're unlikely to run into any major problems.

The DVD-R/-RW standard was created by the DVD Forum. The +R/+RW standard was (I think) created a group of competing companies.

From the looks of a few sales figures (and you have to take them with a little bit of salt), DVD-R discs will significantly outsell +R discs this year.

Whether this means the +R standard will soon become history is anyones guess.

Of the two, I think that MS support the +R standard, which could see it being bundled into Windows.

At the moment I have the Sony DRU500. Figured I'd play it safe and be able to use all the formats until the dust settles from this particular fight.

I'm still holding out on the Drive myself.

The Sony is just too expensive.

I paid top dollar for my Sony HDTV, Mini DV Camera, DTS Reciever, and Progressive Scan DVD.

Sony will have to wait to get more of my hard earned dollars laugh

True, but when I say 'I' I actually mean work laugh So I guess that doesn't really count. I'm not going to get one for home use until the standards war settles down.

Besides, I don't really have much use for one at the mo. The main reason I can see is holiday vids and so-on, but seeing as neither of my parents have a DVD player, it's a bit pointless.

For my own use, I can leave the vids on the tapes.

Also, NEC have a +R/-R drive available for around £100 less than the Sony drive. Speed wise I think it's the same, so that's another option.

Well in my G4 I got a Pioneer 2X superdrive with Apples lastest firmware ... I must say I have been impressed with its performance, and it gets even better when I pull it outta my mac to burn files on my PC .....

Gotta love Pioneer wink

Here is a problem.

I have video files 640X480 Res. 44100 Sound in MPEG2. When I go to encode for burn to DVD format 720X480 48000 sound MPEG2, the sound is out of sync with the video.

What do i need to do to fix this?