Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

How to make IE6 print the whole page?

Seems when I print out any webpage a lot of the right margin is cutoff.

before printing anything with IE u should goto File -> Print Preview... this gets rid of all the unecessary stuff when printing

One surefire way is to print landscape, not portrait.

I know it uses up a bit more paper, but at least you won't get the right hand margin cut off!

When are MS going to sort this out? It's been bugging me since the early days of IE... ;(

Rgds

AndyF

or choose the

"fit to page" option - my epson has that.

Not all web pages were meant or sized to fit on an 8 x 11 piece of paper.

Yeh, this problem's been around since the dawn of mankind. It's there because website designers always assume American users and that therefore visitors to those websites will always be using American letter-sized paper for printouts. That's, of course, not the case, as we in Europe use A4 paper size, which is narrower. Thus, unless the particular website designer has been sufficiently thoughtful about this, we Europeans are often stuck with portrait printouts with the RHS cut off.

I'm afraid that, most times, altering the margins in Page Setup isn't a solution. Very few printers give you Fit to Page, either. The only way you can really guarantee not losing the RHS is to change to landscape mode for printing (someone's already mentioned that) but doing that seems to waste more paper than is necessary and also, quite often, text will get truncated across the page boundaries. Also, I've found that, once you've set the printer to landscape mode, you have to completely exit the browser and then open the Printers applet again, to reset the printer back to portrait mode. Resetting the printer while the browser is still open doesn't put the mode back to portrait permanently. Aaaaargh!

I have written a plug in toolbar for Internet Explorer 6 that automatically fits the web page to the printer page for you. It's called PrintPunk - www.printpunk.com