Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Shin_Magus

"Recent" processors on ASUS A7M266

Hi. I'd like to know if relatively recent Athlon XP processors (like 2400+ and 2600+) can be used on ASUS A7M266. The page regarding that on ASUS' website hasn't been updated in a long while, so I don't know if 2200+ and up can be used on A7M266 after all (the page may merely have not been updated). Can anyone shed some light into this matter? In addition to this, I think I've read something about a new cooler design with something made of copper being required starting on Athlon XP 2100+ (or something). Is that true? If so, is it a possible cause of incompatibility between a mobo and a processador? Thanks! smile

usually, by rule of thub, if it cn do 266 FSB, like urs, it can, theoretically do up to AthlonXP 2600+.

However, if the BIOS will recognize it is another problem....

According to ASUS's website the fastest XP CPU supported is the 2100+ frown

http://www.asus.com/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

Another reason for not supporting some of the later Thourobred cores is that many of the voltage regulator circuits will not handle the lower voltage requirements needed. So in a way this is not always an issue of needing a BIOS update unless of course the mobo manufacturer did think ahead wink