Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shassouneh

HELP! : Logitech USB Wireless Optical mouse

Hi All,

First off, the setup:

MSI K7t 266 Pro v1.0 A (MS-6380)

Mouse: Logitech Optical Wireless USB Mouse.

Behaviour: The Mouse starts up just fine and works, but after a certain period of time (about 5 to 10 minutes) it dies COMPLETELY, and windows reports a "USB Device Not Found" error.

Can Anyone please help?

NOTE: The Mouse itself is NOT faulty. It works flawlessly and perfectly in Linux!

Quote:
Hi All,
First off, the setup:

MSI K7t 266 Pro v1.0 A (MS-6380)
Mouse: Logitech Optical Wireless USB Mouse.

Behaviour: The Mouse starts up just fine and works, but after a certain period of time (about 5 to 10 minutes) it dies COMPLETELY, and windows reports a "USB Device Not Found" error.

Can Anyone please help?

NOTE: The Mouse itself is NOT faulty. It works flawlessly and perfectly in Linux!

Two questions. Did you install the drivers that came with the mouse or just plug it up? Do you have the most current drivers/bios for your board?

I actually tried both.

I tried the regular Microsoft Windows drivers (that are automatically set up by windows). Since that failed, I downloaded the drivers from logitech and installed those as well. Those also failed.

Then, as a desperate attempt, I even sniffed around on msi.com.tw (my motherboard manufacturer) but all they had where drivers for USb 2.0 (which i DON'T have). All the same, I downloaded these and tried them out, but windows kept saying "no better driver was found..."

So I'm stuck with this whole shinanigan. I am typing this up from linux (since the mouse works here flawlessly).

Next time i boot windows I will take a screen shot of the Devic manager before and after the mouse unexpectedly dies just in case it might help clarify something.

Yes I did. When the mouse dies, it DIES, as in for all intents and purposes its as if its not there! I even tried unplugging the USb receiver and polugging it back in, switching USB ports, etc... Nothing. Only a reboot gets the mouse back (before it dies again...).

Yes I did. When the mouse dies, it DIES, as in for all intents and purposes its as if its not there! I even tried unplugging the USb receiver and polugging it back in, switching USB ports, etc... Nothing. Only a reboot gets the mouse back (before it dies again...).

When you say in Linux, is it the same pc runing linux, or another pc running linux? If its another pc runing linux, then it may be the USB port not supplying enough juice for the mouse.

Its the very same machine. Only the mouse works beutifully in Linux but problematically in Windows. Same hardware, same machine, same USB port, different OS.

Do you have any other USB devices? Do they work when the mouse does not? Do you have the latest USB drivers? Does another USB mouse work on USB when your mouse stops working?

Quote:

Do you have any other USB devices? Do they work when the mouse does not? Do you have the latest USB drivers? Does another USB mouse work on USB when your mouse stops working?

1.) There are NO latest drivers for USB from my motherboard maker
s side. The only drivers they have is for USB 2.0 support ewhich I don't have. I tried installing that too but it did not help. I also made sure I formatted to start with basic Windows drivera and the problems still persist. I contacted Logitech and I knew more about USB and mice than ANY of their support staff!!

2.) I do have one other USB device: My HP printer. It works ifne with or without mouse.

3.) I don't have another USB mouse However I can tell you that I know this: The problem has to do with Windows drivers. Its strictly a software issue. The same mouse, same setup, even the same USB port is used under Linux without a hitch!

Oh, and I tried switching USB ports between mouse and printer. Same thing!!!

No haven't tried them. I looked on my motherboard maker's site (MSI) and all the software pertinent to my motherboard I alreayd installed, but didn't help

Are you contradicting yourself? wink The link I gave is from your motherboard makers's site, and is pertinent (albeit a beta) to your motherboard. Might be worth a shot if it solves the problem.

No I am not contradicting myself! Read above carefully. I said I installed ALL software sopecific to my motherboard model. The softeware link u gave is "general" to MSI boards. The fact of the matter is I just tried this beta and it proved to be nothing more than a complete watse of hard drive sace and registry keys!!!

No need to get defensive, I didn't mean it as an insult, hence the wink.

BTW, the only motherboard listed for that patch is the "K7T266 Pro(MS-6380)".

So I see a driver for specifically your mobo, and I read that it improved USB compatibilty for some devices, and I figure I'll give you the link in case it happens to help.

Sorry that it was a "complete waste". Just trying to help, how rude of me.

You misunderstood me. Your help is much appreciated. However, I am just pointing out that if any applicable software drivers are available I would have already installed them (which I did in this case).

As for the "Waste" I didn't mean YO. I meant the software I instaleld was a ocmplete waste of hard drive space and registry keys BECAUSE it was useless and didn't do jack S***!!!

Anyways, I have just checked the MSI board and they have the same set of generic software as before.

If someone can help us figure out what the h*** is wrong with these drivers, we'd be gladly appreicative.

I can't get my USB mouse to work.... when I plug it in... It says that the USB device is not recognized? It worked before but now all of a sudden it doesn't? Someone mentioned a driver I might have to download. Can anyone help? Thanks.

CC