Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
videobruce

Unable to format 2nd partition w/ FAT32 using Win 2k CD

I reinstalled Win 2k from a bootable CD, but I didn't have my bootable floppy w/ Fdisk so I did it through the Windows CD instead.

The HDD was 60GB that I wanted to partition 5/55 and was formatted with NTFS orginally that I wanted to change back to FAT32

I deleted the partition, created a 5GB partition, it gave me a choice of FAT32 or NTFS which I choose FAT32 then it made it active with no choice.

When I went to the 2nd partition the only choice was NTFS! There was no FAT32!

I tried it again, deleting both partitions and starting over, but wound up at the same place; a choice for the primary partition, but no choice for the 2nd partition.

I never set a system up that way, always using good old Fdisk before, but since I wasn't home and had all my tools at my disposal, this is what I was stuck with.

Did I do something wrong or is it you just can't do what I wanted using the Windows CD, or is it a bug?? (not that M$ has any of those, mind you)

I'm sure it doesn't matter, but this is on a Phony.....er, Sony Vaio system.

I am not sure what you want here...

Are you trying to get two FAT32 partitions? Try formatting the whole thing as FAT32. Then repartition.

Yes on the 2 partitions, both FAT32

I wound up using Partition Magic to format the other partition from C drive.

Someone else said there is a 32GB limit through the Win CD. This is a 60GB drive.

2K/XP have a builtin limitation by MS to not support FORMATING of FAT32 partitions greater than 32GB. But it can SUPPORT those partitions if they are already created. So you'll HAVE to use FDISK.

Yes it sucks but MS did this on purpose. Promotion of NTFS! smile

They are sneaky like that. In fact it's my theory that they keep a constant list of all the things that they can enable/disavle/support in each windows version and future versions and then perform customer testing to determine the level of annoyance that it causes. They use this to decide what should/should not be included/enabled/disabled in each Windows release.

How else can you explain all the things we've had to put up with over the years? Coincidence? Laziness? Complication of OS programming? Doubtful. It's all about $$$.

Quote:
They are sneaky like that. In fact it's my theory that they keep a constant list of all the things that they can enable/disavle/ support in each windows version and future versions and then perform customer testing to determine the level of annoyance that it causes. They use this to decide what should/should not be included/enabled/disabled in each Windows release.

How else can you explain all the things we've had to put up with over the years? Coincidence? Laziness? Complication of OS programming? Doubtful. It's all about $$$.
Well...there you have it!
I should of known it was something stupid like that. Here I thought I was the a..hole, but I didn't take into consideration what/who I was dealing with! Yep, stupid me!

I have another problem that I wonder if it is releated to this at all. I tried to image the drive after I got it up and running with Drive Image, but get a 'error 12' message (I believe) stating it has to be run from DOS and some other message and a Windows error box that shuts the program down. I have used Drive Image before on another box with 2 bootable drives and didn't get this, but I don't remember if I was imaging the active drive or the other drive at the time.

Quote:

Quote:

They are sneaky like that. In fact it's my theory that they keep a constant list of all the things that they can enable/disavle/ support in each windows version and future versions and then perform customer testing to determine the level of annoyance that it causes. They use this to decide what should/should not be included/enabled/disabled in each Windows release.

Well...there you have it!
I should of known it was something stupid like that. Here I thought I was the a..hole, but I didn't take into consideration what/who I was dealing with! Yep, stupid me!

I have another problem that I wonder if it is releated to this at all. I tried to image the drive after I got it up and running with Drive Image, but get a 'error 12' message (I believe) stating it has to be run from DOS and some other message and a Windows error box that shuts the program down. I have used Drive Image before on another box with 2 bootable drives and didn't get this, but I don't remember if I was imaging the active drive or the other drive at the time.

Ah, behold the beauty of Linux, LOL smile