Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HeWhoLaughsLast

Can I use Norton Personal Firewall with Server 2000?

Hi all,

I'm running Windows Server 2000 for ASP/SQL development at home and am spooked by the attention my server gets as soon as it goes online. I've lost count of the times I've had to re-format the b*stard.

My question is: can I use Norton Personal Firewall on a Server 2000 setup? If so, should I expect any problems? McAfee Firewall won't support Server, even though it runs like a dream on my 2000 Pro configuration (I'm forced to run a dual boot just so I can surf 'safely' in 2000 Pro)

Cheers, any help is much appreciated

Not sure if Norton PF works with Windows Server 2003/Windows 2000 Server Family or not, but Sygate Personal Firewall does.

If you're having as many attacks as you say you are, you might want to stick that server behind a NAT router/firewall/ISA box.

Thanks, I've had a look at the Sygate site and like what I see! I'm new to all this so it's good to know there are alternatives.

I'm assuming both the standard (free) and pro versions work with win2k server?

The router/firewall solution is something I've contemplated, but it seems a bit like overkill as my machine is not a web server per se -- I use it strictly for development purposes (IIS & SQL). I only go online through SQL Enterprise Manager and Query Analyzer to administer DBs remotely, as well as FTP to upload content.

Thanks again.

I am using the free version of the Sygate firewall, and I am very pleased. However, I am also behind a NAT router, a Linksys BEFSR41. I suppose that I use the router to protect against inbound attacks, and the software firewall to limit and control what applications can access the network/internet.

I used to use ZoneAlarm for the same reason, but I was not impressed with the 3.x versions, so I started looking at other software firewalls. The Sygate firewall does everything I need, it's free, and I have yet to see another free firewall package that has as good logging features.

If you are learning the Windows 2000 Server Family operating systems, as it sounds that you are, you may be interested in this as well: Microsoft has available for free download (registration via passport req'd) Microsoft ISA Server Standard and Enterprise Editions.* Each weighs in around 12MB, and it can be a great learning experience installing and configuring.

Also, you may want to snag IIS Lockdown from the Microsoft download site while you're at it, as you can't be too secure.

Hope that helps, let me know if you need more information, links, clairifications, etc.

Edit * Forgot to mention that those were 120-day time-limited evaluation copies; Sorry if there was any misunderstandings.

Thanks again. You NT folk sure can be nice!

I've grabbed all those tools and I'll be running some experiments over the weekend.

Cheers

Norton Personal Firewall and Symantec Desktop Firewall both work on Win2K Pro, Server and Advanced Server. You'll have to rewrite the default rules as they tend to contradict what a server is there for.

The Symantec Desktop Firewall doesn't seem to save logs or provide a web history for some reason on the server versions but the protection is there.