Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
wirsing

Windows 2003 (Standard) / no Network

Hi there I hope somebody can help me,

I just upgraded my Windows 2000 advanced server to windows 2003 (standard). Since the upgrade I am not able to use mu Realtek 8139 Network Card does not comunicate anymore. The NIC is conected to a USR8000 cable/adsl router. I can not access or even ping the router anymore. (everything used to work fine before the upgrade)

The Windows 2003 firewall option is also disabled.

Before the upgrade I was using Black Ice Server protection (v3.6),

but I have removed Black Ice after upgrading to 2003 standard server.

I have also downloaded the latest realtek drivers (version 5.05) for Winows XP (also tried the w2k drivers) - but it still does not comunicate.

Does anybody have similar problems.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Wirsing

Hi there,

I was finaly able to pinpoint the problem.

There was nothing wrong with my NIC (Realtek 8139) or its driver.

The problem was solved by disableing the "IPSEC" service, and

then rebooting the Server.

After the reboot I was imediatley able to connect to the Internet and

the Intranet.

Ciao

Wirsing

Can Windows 2000 advanced server be upgraded to windows 2003 standard server ????

isn't it

win2000 server -> 2003 standard

win2000 adv server -> 2003 enterprise

;(

Windows Server 2003 Family ---Windows 2000 Server Family

Standard Edition ---Windows 2000 Server

Enterprise Edition ---Windows 2000 Advanced Server

Datacenter Edition ---Windows 2000 Datacenter Server

Web Edition ---No Equivalent

You can only upgrade to an equivalent or higher operating system. You can’t “downgrade” to a less powerful operating system, as some functionality might be lost in the process. This means you can’t move from Windows 2000 Server (or other server products in the Windows 2000 family) to the Windows Server 2003, Web Edition without removing the earlier operating system and performing a new installation.

Quote:
Can Windows 2000 advanced server be upgraded to windows 2003 standard server ????

In other words, no.

Wirsing

how were you able to upgrade 2000 Advanced Server to 2003 standard?

i tried and wasn't able to. And MS says you can't.

I had the same problem some months ago and I solved it installing a win 2003 compatible driver. I discovered a miss understanding with the name of the card and some drivers they call 8139 to the one that truly is 8L39 (8139-8l39)

The correct driver will search for "RTL8L39.SYS" and not "RTL8139.sys". Beyond this, 3 months later I have the same problem with a new machine installed with this SO. I'd try everything... and get nothing to work. One week later, after reading this forum, I sit on the machine again but this time with the mind in white, I changed the value of the variable, took the correct driver, plug the RJ45, and everything is working. I don't know what was, if one thing or the other... but... that is the solution, I think.

Using win 2003 enterprise