Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gilgamesh

Soundblaster Live! and Logitech Z-640 5.1 speaker system.

I have a question about this combination. The Soundblaster Live! that I have is a 5.1 channel card. However nothing comes out of the center channel when everything is hooked up correctly. I have to use the Matrix emulation mode to get sound of the center speaker. I am wondering why this is since the SBLive is a 5.1 card. It seems to me that I shouldnt have to do the emulation mode. Might there be something I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

gilgamesh

I too have A sound blaster card and logitech speakers. I have installed and set up the hardware for the sound card correctly. Plugged in the 'CD_IN' wire, and the other which came with the sound card. The model number is 0220. I cannot get any sound from my speakers, although they are plugged in correctly, and the drivers for the hardware (sound card) are installed already. I have looked at installing the new drivers from the website, but the Installwise wizard does not pick up the Audio hardware. I look at the sound card drivers, and it says they are functioning correctly. So Windows seems to pick up the hardware. This is very confusing and an extremely complew issue, which has been troubling me ever since the delivery of this sound card 4 days ago. I am very annoyed that this has happened seeing as the card is new, and I spent good money on something which hasn't worked correctly for me since I first installed the hardware and software. It has already resulted in my having to re-install Windows XP, which I wasn't happy about. If you have any suggestions, please reply. Thank you, Shaun.

Gil, are you using the speaker test mode to listen for the center channel or a 5.1 application with 5.1 enabled?

Oimi, might want to try running the latest driver ( http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/ ) installer executable file instead of manually up[censored] the files through the device manager. Might also want to uninstall the old software first through start > settings > control panel > Add/Remove software. Be sure to carefully read the information about each file before downloading.

Have you changed any of the BIOS settings regarding PCI?

Shaun, the Creative 5.1 is a bear to install at times. Welcome to the fraternity of the frustrated. From your message this is a new card. What did it replace? Did you utilize onboard sound? Did you go into the Bios and diable the the onboard sound?

Do as ConQueso suggests and download the new software. But, don't install it. Just save it in a folder where you can find it later. You will want to Remove all of the Creative software as ConQueso suggests.

After this, reboot. Get into your BIOS and make sure that any onboard sound is disabled and that the BIOS recognizes the card. If you had to make no changes, ESC out and proceed otherwise save the changes that you made. Let it boot up Windows normally.

You need at this point to check out what Windows sees. Right Click on My Computer choose Properties, click on the Hardware Tab, Click on the Device Manager and bring up your devices. You'll find under the Sound Video and Game controllers a reference to your SBLive. If you see something like Realtek AC'97 windows thinks that you are still using onboard sound. Remove this device if it is there. And, this is strictly your own choice, you can remove the SBLive device. You will see other things in there also, but leave them alone.

If you remove the SBLive device, Windows will find it shortly and want you to install the software that communicates with it. Just Cancel the request. If Windows doesn't see the new Device, you can reboot and it should prompt you that it has found the Hardware. Be sure to Cancel its request. If you don't want to remove the SBLive device, you don't have to. Your call. Next, Use the downloaded software from Creative to install the card.

One other tip. I don't know why but sometimes Windows will put a check mark in the mute entry on the Volume control. (Start>Programs>Accessories>Volume Control)

There should be a lot of software that Creative loaded onto your machine, one such is to test the speakers called Creative Diagnostics and the other Surround Mixer. Bring these up to adjust the ugly noises to adjust the speakers.

Thank you for your feedback - I am grateful. It's been a few months now, and I have had to settle with a sound which is not satisfactory, considering it is supposed to be surround.. In regards to the instalation of drivers and software for the hardware - i did install it using the executable, never tried doing it through Windows XP on 'Driver updates'. I have seen just how many people have had the same problem. I have also found out that Creative can't be bothered to respond to people who send emails in regards to the 5.1 series. Atleast I can say that not all of their products are unreliable (as my Muvo2 works fine, and am very happy with it). Back to the issue in question. You asked what sound card I had previously, and in response I would have to tell you that it was the first - as I recently updated my motherboard, and most of my other hardware infact! On the 5.1 card, there are 5 jacks, where I could put the three leads, which come off the speakers. These speakers seem to have the same colour coordination as the card, although the colouring of two is very similar and I cannot be sure which is used for which. I will try disabling onboard sound - but have tried this previously without success. I also tried installing the kX drivers for this card, which actually seems to be better than the original. I will be installing the original drivers, and updates to see how they work. Previously, I downloaded the audigy drivers, and extracted them using WinRAR, seperating all the individual files (like the installer). This worked fine, the only thing which didn't work was the 3D Surround Sound feature. So I don't know whether it's the software, hardware or my configuration. A bit tricky if you ask me. I would be very grateful if feedback was provided, and thank you for your previous comments, Shaun.

Here is an update. It successfully installed the entire contents oif the CD when I attempted to install those necessary drivers and the extra programs, which come with the Sounblaster 5.1 Live card. I have also disables onboard sound. The only thing which won't work is the surround sound. I have checked to make sure that all the wires are connected in the correct places (speakers to the right jacks), and I think that the CD_IN cable and the connection on the other side are in the right places. I am not sure what needs to be done now. If you have any ideas, please direct them my way. Thank you, once again, Shaun.

Here is an update. It successfully installed the entire contents oif the CD when I attempted to install those necessary drivers and the extra programs, which come with the Sounblaster 5.1 Live card. The only thing which won't work is the surround sound. I have checked to make sure that all the wires are connected in the correct places (speakers to the right jacks), and I think that the CD_IN cable and the connection on the other side are in the right places. I am not sure what needs to be done now. If you have any ideas, please direct them my way. Thank you, once again, Shaun. (Please delete this post - have tried to but failed).

I think i have faced all the problem above. I mean then centre speaker won't sound until i pressed the MATRIX button (well this was before i reformated my pc)

What happen is worst after i formated i. Only 2 of my speaker worked and the rest did not function at all, as if i was using a 2.1 sound card. FYI, i'm using Soundblaster Live! 5.1 n as far as i remember it work properly before i formated it. so i think i might have put the wrong cable in a wrong jack. can someone please tell me how to plug it right? there are 3 colours of cable from my speaker (black, green and orange) meanwhile my sound card have black, green, pink, blue and yellow.

my 2nd problem is that, i can't even manage to install the sound card driver. I have updated the driver/patch using the link given above but the problem here is that an ERROR report will pop-up saying that no

"Setup could not detect any Sound Blaster Live! Series WDM Driver on your program"

I wonder whats wrong with it.

Do help me please, i missed watching Lord Of The Ring lol...