Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
anark_

Counter-strike & Asus A7M266

Hi,

When i play counter strike under windows xp my system crash. The problem is only in opengl mode and windows xp. In direct 3d no problems, in windows 98 & me no problems. I test 2 acelerator graphic and the problem is the same. A7M266 work under AMD761 chipset (agp control). I think in this chipset is the problem. The crash isn't prodouced in a defined time, and no defined map. Simply crash, frezze image and repeat the last sound.

Any one have idea?

my system

Asus A7M266

AMD Athlon 1400

512DDR266

Hercules 9000 128Mb

HD 40gb

HD 80gb external USB2.0

Sound blaster Extigy (external USB)

DVD toshiva

CDRW Yamaha 16x10x40

TFT-LCD fujistu siemes 15"

Sorry my english is very bad, but if you understand me. Please help

Have you installed current drivers for your chipset and video card? I highly doubt it is hardware-related, as it worked OK under Windows 98/ME.

When you installed XP, did you perform an in-place upgrade, or did you format the hard drive and install a new copy?

all the updates worked for me.

There was, if i recall correctly, a specific windows update that dealt with quite a few games.... and HL was one of them...

I have update all drivers.

This motherboard have two chipset, AMD761 (agp/pci/memory controller) & Via VT82C686B (Integrated peripheral controller -HD,USB...).The AMD761 chipset works under 1.3 driver http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_2336,00.html

I think the problem is not in VIA chipset (works under VIA 4in1 V441). The graphic card run under Catalyst 3.2 (last version for ati chipsets).

My windows xp is Professional Service pack 1.

I fotmat hd every two-three months.

I repeat in directc3d mode no problems, the problem is only in opengl.

Others games, medal of honor, jedi knight2, need for speed hot pursuit2, unreal tournament 2003, works perfectly.

Based upon the info provided, I suspect that you are correct, APK, about renaming the opengl32.dll in the Counter-Strike folder, because IIRC, MOHAA and JK2 are OpenGL games, not D3D, so the video driver is probably OK.

Still a good idea to update to the latest driver, though, as I had mentioned above.

Hope to hear how he's making out.

Probably is a word I hate using when it comes to computers...

laugh

I update my windows xp (all upgrades avalaibles). Opengl32.dll is only in windows/system32 directory. I use a retail version os counter-strike (not installed half live).

I think the video drivers is ok (no problems in others games).

I prove directx 8.1 & 9 the problem is the same.

What is APK?

"Based upon the info provided, I suspect that you are correct, APK, about..."

Thanks all smile

Quote:
Hi,

The problem is only in opengl mode and windows xp. In direct 3d no problems

If it works fine in D3D why not just play it in that.....if it ain't broken don't fix it.

Alec, don't forget the instructions I posted awhile back that I got from ATi to completely uninstall the Cat drivers. Remember, some parts were stuborn and took a reg edit to completely remove. And, don't forget to try and see if ANY NVidia stuff is lurking around in the background. There have been many times for those too, to leave stubs still running hidden in the background.

Yeah the problem is only in opegl. In direct3d conter-strike run but the graphic and perfomance level is low (40 - 80fps), in opengl mode run great (80-100fps). I download opengl 1.1 from http://www.opengl.org/ and change onpengl32.dll and glu32.dll . I play 1 hour and the system no crash. This night i will play more if crash i say you.

Thx all for help.

And remember....

Play more xD

i use all ideas in this forum but no repair the problem. I write Ati, Asus and AMD and no solutions. Ati say: speak with asus, Asus say: speak with AMD, AMD say speak with Aus or Microsoft.... ¬¬

Any one play counter strike (opengl mode) under windows xp in Asus A7M266 model?

The Opengl 1.1 drivers isn't a solution. The system crash.

Last week i install Windows Me and play in opengl mode perfectly. I clear hard drive and install windows xp. All instalation is new, new drivers. I format hd every 1-2 months.

if is drivers problems... AMD761 driver? VIA problem?

I don't think this is a Ati problem. I prove nvidia gf2 mx400 and the system crash in counter strike (opengl mode)under xp.

I seriusly think the problem is in AMD761 or VIA but i dont know what is the driver i need for counter strike (opengl) run good.

More ideas? frown

I install new drivers and chance opengl libraries. Cd drivers (hercules), catalyst 3.1 (ati), catalyst 3.1 (hercules), catalyst 3.2 (ati)

I dont think the problem is in Graphic accelerator. I prove ati a nvidia video cards and the problem is the same.