Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ViolentGreen

Another Phoenix Browser Topic

Whate are your impressions of it? I am wondering if it is worth the downlaod. I currently use IE because it is much faster then Netscape. I know phoenix is supposed to be stripped down; how does the speed compare to IE? I have only used mozilla once (3-4 years ago) and was less then impressed.

What are your thoughts?

Quote:
Whate are your impressions of it? I am wondering if it is worth the downlaod. I currently use IE because it is much faster then Netscape. I know phoenix is supposed to be stripped down; how does the speed compare to IE? I have only used mozilla once (3-4 years ago) and was less then impressed.

What are your thoughts?

Weighing in around 6.2MB, I would say yes, it is worth the download. If you have a few hours to download, unzip (install), configure, etc, I think you will like it a lot more than IE. I initially started looking at alternative browers after more and more sites added pop-ups. Now, I have no pop-ups, a faster browser, tabbed browsing, and I have a lot more control over how the pages are rendered.

Needless to say, I like Phoenix. As I have said in the other current Phoenix thread, the Mozilla project will eventually be going the way of Phoenix, slimming down, removing unnecessary features and options.

IIRC, either DosFreak or Clutch is/was using Phoenix as well, perhaps they have something to add?

I suppose that if Opera didn't exist I'd be using Phoenix, and, if you haven't used Mozillia in a number of years then you'll be quite impressed with the progress. Mozilla will apparently be using Phoenix as their new roadmap, which would seem to be a wise choice.

The real problem is that what makes a browser is far more than just the raw speed. Nothing controls cookies, popups, and other elements better than Opera, and though it beats out IE, Phoenix doesn't even come close to Opera's usability. Opera has just come out with 7.10 beta2, and, it's a quantum leap forward. I don't think that anybody's in the same class anymore.

Still, If you want a freebie, Phoenix is probably your best bet ;(

Quote:
Quote:
What exactly is Delphi? I have never heard of it before. Is it a C library or an entirely different language?

It's the descendant of Pascal for Windows by Borland, except with a Visual Basic-like interface building paradigm... "RAD" type (rapid application development) using the Object Pascal engine by Borland.

Delphi is a programming language which is based on the object-oriented extension of the Pascal, and I think we both have agreed on this.
But... just for Windows?? ;( Ouch, ouch, ouch...
And what about Kylix?! It uses the Delphi language.. so Delphi is not just for Windows!!