Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
packman

In WinXP, where are Backgrounds stored?

I've been helping improve a WinXP-Home machine of a friend of mine recently (I'm a Win2K man, myself), by configuring it in a better way than he'd had it.

One of the things I've been hoping to do with this friend's machine is to add one or two extra Backgrounds for the Desktop. Now, in Win2K, additional Backgrounds are stored in the My Pictures folder. They then automatically appear in the dropdown list in the Backgrounds tab of Display Properties. However, it doesn't appear to work that way in WinXP.

So, where in WinXP are the jpg and bmp Background files stored, as I want to drag n' drop some extra 1024 X 768 images into the same folder?

I tried doing a *.jpg and *.bmp search but the result wasn't very helpful.

AlecStaar, these extra Backgrounds that I want to add aren't Web pictures, as it happens.

I just want to put the extra ones together with WinXP's default Backgrounds, so that you can use the dropdown list in Display Properties to select them.

I doubt that the default Backgrounds that are built into WinXP are in a Web folder.

Yepper - Alec has it

for bitmaps use

C:\WINDOWS

for Jpegs Use

C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper

Also, in 2k/XP, the contents of the currently logged in user's %USERNAME%\My Documents\My Pictures shows up in the list as well.

Hmm. Thanks, folks. That's mighty interesting because in Win2K (just for comparison) both jpg and bmp picture files can simply be dropped into the My Pictures folder and they automatically get added to the existing Windows set of Backgrounds. I know this to be so, because I'm a Win2K user myself and have successfully added both jpg and bmp files to Win2K as Backgrounds. So, presumably WinXP differs in this respect?

Yes, by Backgrounds I mean wallpaper (which includes picture files, photos).

In my Win2K, 'Show web content on my Active Desktop' happens to be enabled in Display Properties. In this respect, when I added extra Backgrounds in Win2K, I didn't need to specifically set it to that.