Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mitomark

Norton problem as newcomer

frown Hi everyone.

First of all - what a great site - especially for people with little or no knowledge of computers ;(

Here goes,

I bought a new system last year (packard bell im5043) and I am still trying to figure out how it all works !!

My problems at the moment are many but I will start with the main 2.

1) I have just upgraded my Norton I.S and A.V (downloaded it). It all went well with the download but when I went to run it, I keep getting a window that says "DRIVER INITIALIZION FAILED". Any help with this would be appreciated as I hate switching on without it.

2) This is just an annoying problem that is probably easily fixed.

Every so often (about twice per minute) I keep getting a pop up window headed "messanger service" with some sort of message that I know nothing about like "I am looking for a boy in the uk" etc. How do I get rid of this once and for all

All help will be greatly appreciated by this bewildered newcomer to computers since windows 3.1 !!!

CHEERS

laugh

Thanksfor the reply Alec.

I eventually found my way to the computer management screen and disabled the messenger service (what a minefield that services file is !) - makes me wonder if I need many of those things on it (must be about 50 there).

I will now attempt to sort out the Norton problem :x

Speak soon (probably !)

Mark

8)

Thanks Alec - you are a god-send.

Those links are a LOT of reading, so I think I will set aside a few days to go thru them with a fine tooth comb !

Thanks again, time to get on with some boring paperwork ;(

(for the record - I have a broadband connection so looking forward to the increase in speed laugh )

Mark.

Quote:
I didn't realize Packard Bell was even still around to make computers!!!

I believe they are based in Europe now ...... IIRC