Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HELLBRINGER

windows, software based proxy... HELP PLEASE!!!

I am in need of a decent proxy server that has cache and can allow FTP and HTTP through my connection. Heres the setup:

A DSL modem/router connects to the internet, then the server, a win2k box (which must stay win2k, so dont say linux) with two NICs in it. One connects to the DSL modem/router, those use IPs 10.1.1.1 and 10.1.1.2 and a 24 bit subnet. Then the other NIC connects to the internal network switch using 10.0.0.1 and a 24 bit subnet. The problem is, the DSL connection only has ONE IP. And we cannot get another IP for the server... so that makes FTP really difficult to setup, especially with ISA server, which we are expierementing with, and frankly, getting screwed. So we need a proxy server that can do this with an internal IP.

The other thing is... we've been messing around, and are having trouble getting on the internet just from the server. We have to unplug the network NIC in order to get on... then we can plug it in and everything is fine. But for some reason, when both connections are plugged in, Windows can't find the internet, although its sitting right there on one of the NICs. How can we sort this out?

We are using NAT on the DSL modem/router. It forwards all data to the server. The Server is doing DHCP for the network, but not the internet part.

Hope this is enough info to get some help.

Thanks!

Not sure I understand your config, but why don't you have your ISA box also handle your routing and caching?

I will give that prog a try... thank you.

My configuration is quite simple, and typical. I don't see what you don't understand. Can you tell me what you dont understand? Perahaps I can explain that better. Anyway, the ISA box is supposed to handle the cache... As for the routing, can you explain? I'm a bit flaky on my routing knowledge.

I have had a LOT of trouble working with ISA server, for other clients, me, anyone... ISA server just seems to be a very problematic piece of software. I had it working, briefly and then it stopped again. I wasn't sure what I did. I believe it had something to do with the outgoing listeners configuration, so I tried to set it back, and back and forth between different configurations and could never get it to work again. I can't get on the internet with the server, or clients with ISA server. I'm probably just an idiot, or don't know what the hell I'm doing. But I've worked with ISA before in the past and had it working, but still had lots of problems with it then too. I don't know what the deal is but ISA server does not seem to agree with me at all.

Also, I could NEVER get FTP to work with this internet configuration because I cannot get a real-world IP address (internet IP) to the NIC. It always got a internal one from the router which has to use NAT to forward all requests to that NIC. As far as I know, it is impossible to get a real-world IP to that NIC unless I have a block of IPs from my ISP, which I do not, nor can we afford adding more IPs in. I'm assuming there is absolutly no way that we can get an internet IP to that NIC... some sort of bridging or, something. If there is and I dont know about it please let me know. Thanks.

Can anyone else help my with this problem... I'm about ready to go out and buy a hardware firewall because this is beginning to be too much. Stupid ISA server will still not work properly no matter how much I mess with it. I seem to be doomed here.

Why not just forward port 21 from the external public NIC of the ISA box to the IP of the internal nic on your FTP server?