Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Christianb

XVid-Qix - Where can I get Qix? I think it's an Audio Codec

Hi Gang,

I have an XVid copy of the "The Pianist" can someone tell me where I can download the QIX codec? Also to my knowledge there are two distributions of the XVid codec do either of them contain this Qix by default?

Thanks in Advance,

Christian Blackburn

Hi Mr. Guvernment,

I actually already have the Xvid codec. After running the GSport application Champion_R was nice enough to recommend it would seem I'm missing the Dolby AC3 codec. I wonder where I can download that. I guess I'll try dolby.com or something.

Thanks for the help guys,

Christian

Hi Duhmez,

Thank you very much for the link I went to the website and downloaded a package titled:

GordianKnot.SystemPack.1.0.Setup.exe

that contained the AC3 Filter. I tried to only install the AC3 filter, but it seems to have forced me to install a few other audio filters smile. Oh well smile.

Cheers,

Christian

AHH yes - u got an AC3 encoded one - hope they work - there are a few AC3 codecs out there that fubar your system - as in any player crashes when you try to watch a media file like avi - i had that issue!

Hi Guys,

I assume the AC3 codec is provides positional audio? Otherwise I see no point in deviating from the MP3 audio standard.

Cheers,

Christian

Course come to think of it I think that there is a patent for MP3's so I guess I can understand people using XVid/Ogg combinations. Is that done? I've never heard of it, but it makes enough sense since they're both open source technologies.

Cheers,

Christian

XVID/Ogg seems like the most ideal soloution. Windows Media 9 is nice but encoding takes ages and the good features require that WMP9 is used to play the file back and not everyone has the player but one could say the same for XviD and Ogg.

P.S. AC3 does support 5 channel audio.

you can have simple dvd rips with AC3 - it is not just Xvid - it depends on the ripper really. - but yes - it does provide AC3 audio - mutlichannel.

Hi Mr.Guvernment,

Are you saying that you could just capture the audio? Or are you referring to capturing some sort of AC3 enabled .avi?

Thanks,

Christian Blackburn

AC3 audio is dolby digital. It can be stereo, 2.1, or 5.1.

It is the format used on DVD's.

They rip the movie ad leave the ac3 file intact for true unrecompressed audio listening experience.

You can convert that ac3 to wav or mp3 if you wish using besweet.

Goto doom9.org >Guides>Audio

Hi Duhmez,

Thanks for the info. Personally I only have 2 speakers so Mp3 audio is just fine for me. It would seem to me that if people are going to include positional audio they ought to use a compression algorithym for it. However since it's part of the Mpeg 2 spec it must already be compressed. So I guess that's why you said unrecompressed smile. Which is a lengthy synonym for lossless. Can anyone comment on the differential in file size when someone creates an MP3 audio version vs AC3? Clearly Video compression is far more important for small file size than audio.

Cheers Amigo,

Christian

The one AC3 movie i saw has the same video quality - that i could tell of an mpeg DivX release - this release was 2cd's. can't recall the movie name, but i have seen mpg as 2 cd's as well, so for me, there is no noticible difference, even thoough i do have a 4.1 + sub speaker system and a 5.1 in my living room.