Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ali

the new virus

I have had some cases of a HAPPY BIRTH DAY virus!

I have had it on windows ME and XP. on start up a window pops up with "You are my best friend" as the header and "Happy birth day dear" as the message. you may think you computer is frozen because you can't click on anything (or you think you can't click on anything) since your mouse is inverted, like a left handed mouse (left click is your right-click).

called McAfee, they have never heard of it. They just pushed me to use the latest updates, but obviously that did not work.

anybody has this problem or today I just have had an interesting day?

I would appreciate any help

thanks

Hi, i am using norton antivirus since long, didnt have a virus last 3 years.

Not even have it running in memory anymore, because it slowed down starting of programs, just use it to check downloaded files.

Welp, I have used McAfee for the last 5 and haven't had anything come in on my systems, and there are people that love Panda and the other scanners out there. But, if it *wasn't* up to date initially and you get hit, then trying to update it afterward will usually be of little to no help since most virus/worm writers make sure that the scanner will not find their stupid little app. I have seen some worms actually disable virus scanners altogether until you mount the partition and edit the registry from outside the hosting OS (in some extreme cases when you can't fix it while booted in normally). Now, I would suggest checking out some of the other vendors' websites and see if they have any info on this issue, as if there is they might have a fix as well.

it was NOT me who got hit with the new virus. it was a customer's computer. not only 1 customer but today i got the 4th one in. I have the latest updates and def.'s and latest version of Mcafee (v. 7).

I was just wondering if anybody knows anything about this virus. This I believe is a new virus and my Antivirus programs don't pick anything up. Even i left it scanning over night by booting form floppy disk and it did not work. ;(

i think at least 2 of these computers had Kazaa on it. I have to check again, it could be another Kazaa revolution! :x

Quote:
Try Kaspersky Antivirus.. In my opinion even better than Norton. wink

OH God illuminate me!, what the heck??, i didn't know about that one, hehehe. Actually i think that the best AV for 'u is the one that better work with your Pc and BTW mine is Norton, but since that post up there, hehe, well what can I say??? (with no offense)

Quote:
OH God illuminate me!

It can be arranged... laugh

Quote:
Actually i think that the best AV for 'u is the one that better work with your Pc (...)

Since when AV began to be hardware or software dependent??

Quote:
(...) and BTW mine is Norton, but since that post up there, hehe, well what can I say??? (with no offense)

None taken.. and by the way, I'm using Norton too..

it seems like i got some new definitions and they work, but i couldn't find any names for this thing!! 8)

does anybody knows the name of this new virus, (or whatever)?

Cool, it took about 5 days for the new definitions to come out. (since the day I discovered this new virus!!!!) i thought it would take months. smile

Quote:

Quote:
Actually i think that the best AV for 'u is the one that better work with your Pc (...)

Since when AV began to be hardware or software dependent??

Ok, what i meant was about your software config. (the softwares you have installed), 'cause i've seen a lot of annoying conflicts between AV and others Apps (solved installing other AV 8) ), anyway, some AV requires more system's resources than others when loading at startup and if your Pc doesn't have those resources (HARDWARE STUFFS) you gonna have troubles.

By far the best scanning AV engine, or in this case, engines for "servers" is Antigen from Sybari.

For desktop use ... hmmm I am partial to Command or TrendMicro.

Throwing in my $0.02 smile

Kapersky is supposed to be pretty good, but I haven't messed with Antigen before. Well, that's probably because I don't recall hearing much about it smile. How long have you used it?

tell the people to use kazaa lite,.

as we all know how much spyware kazaa has in it!

could be very well these people are clicking any and every window that pop's up saying "download and installl blah blah - like C2 media"

when they browse the web.

this is new to me, but i will keep an eye out for anything on it.

Quote:
Well, that's probably because I don't recall hearing much about it . How long have you used it?

Well clutch, it was beta tested in our environment, only to have it be rejected by the product's cost.

IIRC, the engine itself is great, and during the MECs, other exchange admins highly recommended it.