Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dredd

OWA works in Netscape not IE

Well after plugging away at Exchange I got almost all of it to work except OWA. I can bring up OWA with Netscape with no problems, yet with IE it is stuck on loading inbox and can not display folders. I read that it might have to do with WebDAV, yet I forced the server to believe that IE was version 4.0 and prior to keep WebDav out of the picture? What am I missing?

1. What version of IE, the client OS, Exchange service pack level?

2. Have you cleared the IE cache?

3. Under Internet Options / Advanced / Security ... is Do not save encrypted files to disk UNchecked?

4. Event logs on both the exchange server and client?

5. IE Security set to all default levels?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315515

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328663

www.swynk.com

www.slipstick.com

www.exchangefaq.org

Those should get you pointed in the right direction.

Also a good list server is exchange2000@yahoogroups.com

Lemme add a little more to the above post

You can establish an OWA session using the "reach" interface ... in other words netscape and certain downlevel IE clients. To interact with the "rich" interface ..... you need IE 5.0 and higher.

The rich client version of OWA takes advantage of the Microsoft XML control on the client side and makes custom HTTP-DAV requests to the server by using verbs such as SEARCH and PROPFIND. Some older proxy servers do not support these verbs and block requests, which results in the Web browser failing to access OWA. The reach client is not affected because it only uses standard HTTP verbs such as GET and POST.

I believe you can create an ISAPI filter to force which OWA you get.

Well that should cover all the bases, and hopefully, it will get you somewhere. smile

Exchange SP3

Using IE6 SP1 as browser

On Windows 2000 Pro or XP Pro clients

I've tried all the below steps for Internet Tools and didn't seem to help.

I set the reg fix to make my server think my IE is version 4 or below to keep WebDav out of the picture, and I've tried SSL which should secure and hide the packets.

I have no proxy server set up, my firewall / router is a linksys befsx41

I've checked all event logs and nothing is listed pertaining to my OWA issues.

I've tried just about everything I've read and still am not getting anywhere. How do I set up an ISAPI filter and where do I do that at?

I'm posted this issue in many forums and right now you are my only hope so far. Thanks!

Are you by chance using URLScan or the IIS Lockdown utility? URLScan in its default configuration can severly limit what is sent to the client, and what verb are allowed to be used by the client to get information. I had to host OWA on a different port with a different URLScan setup to keep it from blocking OWA usage with IE.

Yes I do have URL scan and IIS lockdown installed. How do I correct them from blocking OWA? That might just be the issue.

I would really not like uninstalling IIS on the exchange computer because it is also my webserver that I have 4 websites hosted on. Pain in the butt to have to reset them up in IIS again also.

Dredd, just scope out the link that DS3 provided and you should be fine. Occasionally, I have had to reinstall IIS because of some odd issue that simply would not correct itself. However, this is probably giving you the issue. As DS3 mentioned earlier, when you use a modern version of IE, OWA gives you more options and functionality than with Netscape or any other browser. These added functions mean more calls between the client and the server, and URLScan disable a great deal of them by default.

I'll give that a shot this evening and see if that corrects it. Thanks for the help so far and I'll let you know if I get it working...

I ran the IIS lockdown and followed the link you gave. It deleted all my OWA settings under IIS and I have no clue how to reset those back up. How do I manually add the right virtual folders and files for it to work right?

Quote:
I ran the IIS lockdown and followed the link you gave. It deleted all my OWA settings under IIS and I have no clue how to reset those back up. How do I manually add the right virtual folders and files for it to work right?

I have not run into this, perhaps clutch has seen this before.

What do your IIS logs show?

The exchange virtual folder points to your "m:\domainname\MBX" folder
The public virtual folder points to your "m:\domainname\public folders"
Baring you didnt change the M drive letter.

I hope you created backups of your system and metabase before doing all this.

Nope didn't remember to back up metadata so unless I find some details on how to manually set this up, I'm going to have to give up on Exchange. Its certainly been one of the most frustrating Microsoft packages I've worked with.

Looking at the date of this post, I know that it's extremely old, but I'm suprised at the responses provided. Netscape receives the interface from Exchange in standard HTML format. When you use IE, Exchange OWA detects this and attempts to use an ActiveX control for the IE interface. Most company firewalls will lock down port 3389 (which is what the ActiveX control uses) so you'll get a blank page when you get to the inbox or any folder. This can be changed via a registry on the server, however, the activeX control can't be changed to match the new port number, so it's useless.