Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Curley_Boy

Improve Hibernate performance

I find the hibernate function very useful, but a tad slow.

It usually takes a full minute to resume from power on. Although I have noticed a speed increase from 2000 and I have quite a bit of memory installed (512) I think it should be a bit quicker than this.

I have the Bootvis util... would that help at all, and if so how do I use it to best effect?

thanks

Quote:
Quote:
I find the hibernate function very useful, but a tad slow.

It usually takes a full minute to resume from power on. Although I have noticed a speed increase from 2000 and I have quite a bit of memory installed (512) I think it should be a bit quicker than this.

I have the Bootvis util... would that help at all, and if so how do I use it to best effect?

thanks

Your amount of RAM may be in fact, what is causing your "slowdown"... believe it or not.

IIRC, Hibernation features take the contents of your RAM & write it to a file on disk, saving the state of affairs in the system, to reload it upon powering up the RAM & other parts again, reading that file's contents & repopulating it into memory once more.

(There used to be Win3.x programs that actually did this as well, but let you powerdown your system & upon powerup, would send you IMMEDIATELY to the screens you had going on shutdown, apps loaded & all! It was a GOOD idea, that is now being practically & usefully used on Win32 Os' now like 2k/XP!)

ANYHOW:

A 512mb sized file, especially up off a diskbound read, might take a bit of time to do!

smile

APK

P.S.=> Only thing I can figure that MIGHT help it some, would be getting a faster HDD so the read & access time is faster/quicker, defragging (assuming the Hibernation Data file is not an excluded from defragger access file, some are), or cranking up & overclocking your CPU & RAM speeds in the BIOS to make it a BIT quicker... but I doubt it'd be like MASSIVELY NOTICEABLY faster etc., as it still is hitting the slowest part of your system, your harddisks, to do its job... apk

So, what 'u mean is that the larger is your RAM size, the slower that will be the Hibernation process?

Quote:

* I could be wrong, but I really don't think so as it makes sense...
APK

Yes, it makes sense, but is a little "paradoxical" that you have a large size of RAM and 'ur Pc is slower hibernating, HEH, I understand that but believe me that some customers won't understand it that way!

Quote:
Well, I am operating on theory here & physics really...

E.G.-> The fact that the larger a file is, the more time it will take to read it up off the platters of the harddisk & thus instance it into memory for usage.

APK

Well, the fact is that some people here believe that More Ram=Faster Pc, which is true but not in this case, u know you'll have to come to this country someday and treat with some kind of people, hehe, you'll LOL when you hear somebody calling to Tech support and tell you "heyt man, i can't connect to the internet, i already plugged the phone line to the harddisk (OMG!!! ;( ) but nothing happens" (yeah, those kind of things happens here), and i'm not understimating their capabilities, but c'mon!!!!