Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jdulmage

NIC - Onboard or Seperate?

Just a quick question...

I am getting the A7N8X Deluxe board soon and I know it has Dual Lan. Is it better to use the onboard LAN or to buy a seperate card for it?

I was just curious if that would increase the speed and flowthrough in any way?

If so, what cards do you guys recommend? I was thinking 3Com Etherlink XL.

But if it won't make a difference, I won't spend the extra $$$

Thanks guys.

The network itself is usually the bottleneck, not the interface between the PCI bus and the NIC, so even if there is a difference I doubt it would actually have any effect.

This PC I'm using has an oboard LAN which I use for connecting the machine to a LAN. It also has an XL card in it for my cable modem. The only reason I'm doing it this way is that I can move the LAN card to different machines, and the modem won't have to learn another MAC address.

My network connections are fairly rubbish though as I'm still using a 10MB hub. Been too much of a cheapskate to upgrade it though. It's mostly used for ICS, so 10MB is plenty for that.

Functionality wise, I don't think you'll notice any difference.

I would stick with the intergrated unless you need a feature such as PXE support, etc. that the onboard NIC does not have.

The integrated NICS in the A7N8X are fine. I only use the 3Com because it's 3com. smile Dunno how well the Nvidia one performs....

If it all possible I'll use the onboard NIC personally.

There is no difference in performance and neither will take up more resources or CPU time than the other.

I've got a Broadcom Gigabit NIC on my current board and it does everything I ask of it without complaint.

Asus has really good onboard lan support for this model, and, I can't even understand why you'd want to buy 'another' lan board ;(

laugh Do you have a special requirement here, or do you just have extra cash burning a hole in your pocket ;( laugh

Err...the onboard NICS in the Nforce are 100. His GIGABIT NIC is of course much faster which is why he's using it. wink I'd be using my Gig NIC but I don't have my second computer up. frown

I have an A7N8X Deluxe. It comes with nVidia 10/100 and 3COM Gigabit LAN. I have seen no performance hits what so ever. You can disable one or both in the BIOS aswell.

I really wished that they would use the Broadcom 5702 Giagbit LAN Adaptor on the A7N8X like they do with the A7V8X. I like Broadcom 4401 that I have for the onboard NIC.