Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
videobruce

Removing ENUM entries in the registry

Device drivers that are uninstalled still leave entries in the registry under ENUM which I believe are Device Manager entries that can't be deleted. If I have a problem with a driver I like to completely uninstall it and start from scratch, but I can't since these entries are permanently entered into the registry with no apparent way to remove them. I have encountered times where that causes problems since the driver is really already there and no conformation boxes appear when you go to reinstalled them they way they did when they wereinstalled the first time. Especially with video devices where it is more critical.

Without reinstalling a previous image file (if there is one), how can these entries be deleted? I use Registry Crawler to find these left over entries of which there usually are many. This is running 2k w/sp3 and logged in as a administrator.

Someone else suggested using Reg Edit 32 which I did. It did work, but I looked into your idea which seems much easier if you can find the exact entries. Using Reg Crawler finds them in Reg Edit ok, but it is hard to navigate Reg Edit 32 since I'm not use to it.

Can you set Device Manager to show hidden devices everytime without re-enableing it each time?