Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kublis

ATI 9700 Pro or ATI FireGL 880?

Not sure where to post this, but since it will using XP as the operating system, I guess i'll post it here.

My brother-in-law will be using mostly photoshop to create pictures/graphical images such as those you see on the billboard or advertisement and I was wondering which of the two would be best for the job. He currently have a P4 2.?? GHz with 1GB of DDR Ram w/ 2 40GB in raid 1 (stripping). He told me that he saw them both at the store for pretty much the same price. I know that 9700 is for gaming use and 880 for professional use, but was unsure as to which one will be best for drawing/manupilating graphical images. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks!

I know that the 8800 is based on the R200 core(Radeon 8500) and is alot slower that the R300 core(Radeon 9700). Based on this alone I would guess that the 9700 should be able to beat it in just about anything thrown at it. Not sure how things work with the FireGL's so wait until someone that knows better gives a more clear answer.

That's what I assume too. I don't pay attention to the Fire GL line (as they are pretty expensive). I'll wait to see if other people know anything about it. Thanks.

The FireGL line are aimed towards 3D rendering. They have extra hardware in them to deal with the 3D geometry, lighting and so-on. This isn't the same as the functions used in games though, so they won't give you uber-frame rates in your FPS of choice.

For 2D graphics (which is what Photoshop does), he's going to be better off with the 9700 card.

But to be honest, most of the donkey work is going to be done by the CPU and RAM.