Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Guvernment

Setting 1 Outlook.pst file to be used by multiple computers?

Hello,

Is it possible for multi computers to access one .pst file?

So this way instead of people all needing to use 1 computer - then can connect to the .pst file on a network drive and get the email for that account on their computers - but this way all sent emails and such are all saved in that one .pst file so there is a record of it?

Here is a quick set up

Support Computer - has the email account on it and the .pst file

My computer - want to be able to connect to that .pst file and use it as if i was sitting at the Support computer..

This possible? i have tried somethings, but no luck frown

Quote:
Is it possible for multi computers to access one .pst file?

Nope... the first computer to open it will "lock" the file. Anyone who tries to access it afterwards may or may not get an error message. To see what happens, open multiple instances of Outlook on your desktop computer. If I remember correctly when you don't get an error message, you can use Outlook normally, but nothing is saved. No contacts saved, outgoing messages,etc.

Jim

Okay - mmm, i could work it so onyl one person can oen it - it is more or less me and one other guy - that instead of having to run down a flight of stairs - since we work from home - we cna acess the .pst from out comps - so likely only one of us will us it at a time.

We use VNC and such, but well, the delay of a few seconds can be a pain!

If you're using Outlook 2000 there is a "sharing" feature. You can use it to share the contacts, calendar, and tasks. I don't think it will share the inbox though. You'd need a separate e-mail address for each person to use it but it does work pretty well. Unfortunately, if you're using Outlook XP this feature has been removed.

Jim

It is possible to do something along these lines with a product called OutlookFolders at

http//www.outlookfolders.biz/English.htm

Have used it under Win2K/OL2K for a couple of years, both with server and peer-to-peer modes.

This will allow you share the PST, but emails will still be local (but can be moved to shared PST), and shared PST can have shared Acitivities (Journal entries etc).

mm

okay

Does anyone know of an Email client / server

that would allow me to do what is needed?

Share one main source of email between various clients - all connecting to this one source - and when someone reponds to an email or something - it saved this change on the source file so all will see it or have access to it?

I have seen this done WITHOUT any software or tricks. Only one computer can open the *.pst file at a time. Just share the *.pst file on one computer which would make that computer the server. Point Outlook on any other computer to use the shared *.pst file as their Outlook file.

The only tricky part is sharing the actual file since XP does not like to share files that are in the default location that Outlook puts the *.pst file. Make it easy on yourself and change the default location to a folder you can call c:\outlookshare or something like that. Sharing directly from the default location may require you to disable simple file sharing and enable permissions which can be a bit complicated to set up right.

I suggest using rules so that all incoming mail is also forwarded to the other guy and the same with 2nd person. Obviously this means some duplication of mail but at least you both get access to the same mail!