Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

What are the best performance tweaks you know of for XP pro?

Hey APK, you might want to update your site - a lot of the information is out of date.

Microsoft's defrag APIs fully support defragmenting registry files online - it doesn't take a boot time defrag in order to do. Also, PageDefrag will only be able to completely defragment the pagefile IF there is a piece of contiguous free space the size of the pagefile. If there isn't, then it won't be able to completely defragment the pagefile. This means that you first really need to run a defragmenter that does a good job of consoli[censored] free space - which rules out most defragmenters smile

"Speedisk has advantage for networking folks that HAVE to maintain servers". Symantec is discontinuing SpeedDisk for their enterprise customers (servers). Symantec is now directing their enterprise folks to PerfectDisk for their enterprise defrag needs.

"The latest FULL model of O&O Defrag also defrags MFT, Pagefiles, directories, & registry". Unless I am mistaken, O&O defrag only allows defragmenting of directories on NTFS partitions. On FATx drives, it is not currently supported.

- Greg/Raxco Software

Microsoft MVP - Windows Storage Management/File System

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.

Moving directories online on FATx partitions isn't supported by Microsoft's defrag APIs. To do this requires a boot time defrag. While O&O provides a boot time defrag ability, it doesn't provide a way to select directories.

Symantec is recommending PerfectDisk to their customers because they found it from a network management perspective better that what else was available and from a defrag performance perspective better that what else was available (Symantec looked at all of the commercial defragmenters available). Symantec needed to recommend a defragmenter to their enterprise customer and was looking for something that could do the equivalent job or better than SpeedDisk was able to do (by bypassing Microsoft's defrag APIs) - the ability to work well in conditions of low free space, the ability to consolidate free space and speed.

I don't mind if you quote me.

- Greg/Raxco Software

Microsoft MVP - Windows Storage Management/File System

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.

Best performance tweak for xp ...??

Have you tried disabling unwanted xp services ??, If not try it.

Good explanation is available at blackviper.com

Good luck !.

The easiest 'tweaks' are to simply disable themes and disable all of the services that you don't need.

If you tweak XP too far it all seems to fall apart! So from now on I tend to stick with GUI config stuff.

Tweaking is simple: make sure your disks are healthy and that the footprint of the OS is kept at a minimum (so keeping startup progs down, services and anything else that might end up in memory).

Sure you can probably go further, but I must admit that if I am that tight to reduce the CPU clicks that the OS demands, I might as well do a hardware upgrade! :P

S