Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Silverado

Need help using Terminal Services in Application Server Mode

Anyone that has any experience using Terminal Services, Can you help me please?. Reply back and I will describe the problem.....Thx

Like I said.....I am running in Application Server Mode. The client is a Windows 2000 Pro machine. I want to install applications ONLY on the server and be able to run them from the client machine.....instead of running them locally on the client. In other words.....install applications on the server and run them from the server. I have installed Office 2000 on the server using the instructions per Microsoft's website.....per Terminal Services Application Server Mode. My question is.....How do I actually run the applications from the server?. In other words, should shortcuts have been created to the Office programs when I logged onto the server?. I have been studying Networking in school, but they have neglected to cover Terminal Services. I would like to install applications like Office, my printer(which works fine already being connected to the server) and others. I am just not sure how they should be run from the client......Should shortcuts have been created?....Do I need to create them manually?. ANY help would be appreciated........Thx!!.

You wish to run applications on a Windows 2000 Terminal Server?

Then install the terminal server client, 16 or 32 bit. You can create the necessary floppies from the 2000 server by either

1. ADMINPAK.MSI from the win2k server cd in the I386 CD.

2. From a network share (you create) from the %systemroot%\winnt\system\clients\tsclients

3. Download the new client that support RDP 5.1 that includes 16bit terminal services colors ... though that only functions on .NET and XP

Here is a good resource to to get you started with terminal services on win2k, www.labmice.net .Also Application Mode requires a license from MS, otherwise it will cease to function after 90 days.

Oh, and one more thing .... No shortcuts smile

besides what I said, do what APK also states laugh

His experience in this subject clearly shows.

Hey guys, sorry it took me so long to reply. Ok, here is what I have done so far:

1. I installed Office 2000 per the Microsoft Support's website implementing the TermSrvr.mst file. All went well there.

2. I made the 2 Terminal Client Services 32-bit install disks and installed them on my Windows 2000 Pro client computer while I was logged onto the domain that I have created and joined with no problems. I setup my account as a Domain Administrator with Full Permissions by the way.

Now.....What do I do next?. Do I need to go into the "Terminal Services Client" application on my Windows 2000 Pro client that I loaded the software from the two disks on and configure it?.

I know I sound like an idiot.....but this is new to me.....and I really want to learn how to do this. My goal is to be able to connect to my domain that I have created and run applications such as Office, use my printer on the server, and other applications implementing Terminal Services. This is the way our school is setup. When we logon to our accounts at school...applications are available for us to run off of the server....without them being actually installed locally on every individual machine. To run games, I will log onto my Windows 2000 client computer through my local account and run those. I hope this makes sense to you guys...... ;( . Guess I wasn't too good at explaining exactly what I want to do in my previous post.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/recommended/TSAC/default.asp

And heres a web client that allows you to run terminal services without the 32 bit client ... it does require that you install an active x component .... its rather sweet. Requires II4 or higher.

Figured I would throw this out there as well. smile

APK watcha think of Citrix TS? Is it comprable or superior to 2000? Our shop has eliminated most UNIX severs/clients, and I wanted a reason to bring them back. wink

Quote:
at least for a "serious nerd" type!

I take my "nerdieness" seriously wink

And thank you for the insight on citrix smile

Thx for the help guys. I haven't had a chance to fool with it anymore lately because of my Cisco and Win 2000 Active Directory finals that I have been studying for. But, they are over with now so I will have time to experiment and screw stuff up too....... laugh . I may post back with some more questions. I really appreciate all the help so far!!.... laugh

Hey guys,

I guess I need to rephrase my question. I have a domain set up on the server, with myself set up as a "Domain Administrator" account to connect to from my 2000 Pro machine. When I log onto the server with this account.....how do I get the programs that are installed ONLY on the server(Office 2000 for example) to show up on my desktop(2000 Pro Client) to be run as network applications?. How do i run these apps over the network only and not have to install them locally?. Thx in advance.

By the way, Terminal Services did work...but it did not produce the results as I had expected. It had a TS window open showing the Server desktop. At school, when we log on with our account......all we have is one desktop window showing.... and the shortcuts on the desktop and Start menu for various applications that we have installed on one of our servers that are made available to us....Word,Excel,Powerpoint,Outlook,....etc. What am I missing here?. Thx again.

Quote:
At school, when we log on with our account......all we have is one desktop window showing.... and the shortcuts on the desktop and Start menu for various applications that we have installed on one of our servers that are made available to us....Word,Excel,Powerpoint,Outlook,....etc. What am I missing here?. Thx again.

Perhaps you are referring to a Full Screen terminal service session ... maybe a mandatory profile as well?

He could be using a thin client, such as running Windows CE or Linux (with rdesktop) as the workstation. Once it boots up, it connects to the server and starts redirecting all traffic back to the client, hence no icon and no windowed sessions (it would appear is if you were running a console session on the hosting server in question).

Hey guys.....Thx for all the help...I really appreciate it. I just have one more question. The "Remote Desktop Connection" software that comes with Windows XP.......Is there a way to get this to work on Windows 2000 to connect to a 2000 Server. I know that you guys know what I'm talking about.....when you connect either to Windows XP Pro or a .Net Server machine from an XP machine there is a grayish box at the top center of the desktop. This would be much better than the TSClient that I am running for Win2000. Hope I dont sound like an idiot.......... ;(

Much Better!!!......... laugh .........Thx DS3Circuit!!!. I finally have everything configured to my likeing. I really appreciate all the help everyone!!. Take Care.

Silverado, Good to know you finally solved the mistery, how did you do it? I would appreciate any information.

I also have a win2k server where i want to instal temrinal services in application server mode, and install an application to be used by all the users conected in the domain, but I m not sure how to

Could you please enlighten>

thanks!!!!1