Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dalleman

Diskeeper 7.x slows down windows explorer refresh

HELP! I just installed and ran Diskeeper 7.x trial. I am looking to purchase the full version, but I have run across an issue. After running Diskeeper (without errors) Windows Explorer now takes over 45seconds to refresh and display folder contents. This only happens on first launch of explorer and clicking on the first folder to open. After that I am back to the normal click and "BAM" your there response. I have since run Diskeeper with the DIRECTORY CONSILIDATION" but it did not make a change. I have run defrag several times and rebooted several times with no change. Any ideas on why this happening?

THANKS!

Here are my specs:

AMD XP1800+

ECS 7S5A (?) MOBO

512 2100DDR Crucial MEMORY

WD 120GB 8 MB Buffer 7200 RPM HD

I suspect that it could be due to the indexing service, as the index may be pointing to the incorrect locations of files and folders. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Quote:
I suspect that it could be due to the indexing service, as the index may be pointing to the incorrect locations of files and folders. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Could be... I think I might try running the regular scandisk, but, I sure wouldn't look to purchase the full version wink

My experience is just the opposite. Diskeeper 7 massively sped up my Disk access. I have the full version though.

I tweaked my NTFS by Disabling the Last Access Update and Disk Indexing. Also disabling Paging the Executive tweak works well. I highly recommend Diskeeper 7. It sure beats the XP defragger.

Also, have you updated your BIOS? Maybe your system doesnt like the 120Gb Drive. Also try up[censored] your chipset drivers. Just some thoughts.

Just thought of something else. Are you running 1 partition or more than 1. If you are running Windows XP, and running more than 1 partition, that may be your problem. I have a 60Gb drive and I was experiencing slower than usual disk access under XP with 2 partitions. Reformatting with one big partition took care of it. Seems XP works better with 1 partition that spans the entire disk. Something to do with how the files are positioned across the disk. Adding another partition throws a monkey in XPs wrench with regards to that file placement. Microsoft recommends 1 partition that spans the entire drive. Again just throwing out some possible things to look at.

Good luck.

Quote:

Personally I have doubts on this. My understanding of the Indexing service is just to make searches faster when you're looking for a particular file etc. Diskeeper doesn't change the disk filesystem like that.

There is however a service that the trial version installs and runs in the background. I'm not really clear what the point of it is though since the trial version doesn't allow scheduling or the set it and forget it thing.

I used to have a USB cd burner that would hang up from time to time and it would do the same thing you're having. When I would open "My Computer" the system would have to "wake up" the drive and that would take 30-45 seconds before I could actually use explorer. I've seen failing floppy drives do this as well.

THANKS FOR THE GREAT TIPS AND ADVICE. The culprit turned out to be a 80 MB zip in the root of C:\ that was hanging up on the read access. Once I removed this, it works like it did in the past. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP!!

NOTE: for those interested I downloaded and ran a utility called Filemon, from a site called sysintenals. within 3 minutes of runnif this log I found the problem. great utility and its free! I will be re-installing Diskeeper this weekend