Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HawkBoy

Building a new PC: AMD athlon 2700 and 2800

Hi,

I've been wanting to build a new pc for about six months now. The reason I've waited so long is that I've heard really great things about the Athlon 2700 and 2800 and have been waiting for them to become availible (and hopefully get a bit cheaper). The thing is that the 2800 is not even availible yet (in Canada anyways) and the 2700 is still top of the line (in both power and price). Should I keep waiting or just build 2400 system and get it over with?

Note: I don't need the processor to be dirt cheap when I buy it, I just don't want to pay $150 for 300 extra MHz.

Thanks

Overclocking does come to mind here,

Especially if you have a Thoroughbred B processor. One of my friends has his 2100 Tbred B @ 2700 speeds, just on air cooling.

If you have decent air cooling u can reach good overclocks with a Tbred B.

Get a 2100 (and make sure its Tbred B) and overclock!

The way to tell is the following:

1)First thing to do is to see if it's a genneral Thoroughbred (A or B). This is easily done! The older Palomino's have the CPU info on the actual die itself, whereas the TBreds have the info on a black sticker.

2)you can see the code through the packaging (you may need a magnafying glass tho).

The only way to tell between the revisions is the 5 letter code on the last line of the black sticker.

one with the 5th letter ending with an A is a Tbred A (eg AIUGA)

one with the 5th letter ending with an B is a Tbred B (eg AIUGB)

Go for any of the CPU's with the "B" stepping!

GO with the nforce 2 boards.

THey are stable and great performers.

I would wait just 2 more weeks for the prices to drop, or order from an AMerican company to get better prices

Immortal: I'm not planning on overclocking (I want to keep this pc as quite as possible)

sapiens74: U bet ur @$$ =)

The thing is, I've read some great things about the Athlon 2700 and 2800 (the increased FSB speed) and am wondering if it is worth it for me to wait for it.

Go watercooling if you dont want noise, cant hear a wisper from my 2 titan aluminium 120mm fans at 7v. Im currently gettng 29C idle on my P4 2.53 @ 2.85, thats with my GF4 and NB on the same loop and the GF4 overclocked, load is 45C. Cost me about £200 so over there should be cheaper for you and you can overclock like a wild man laugh

I have the 2200+ on the .13 Fab. I haven't heard good or bad as far as overclocking. Seems like it overclocks ok, anyone heard or seen anything with this model?

Quote:
I have the 2200+ on the .13 Fab. I haven't heard good or bad as far as overclocking. Seems like it overclocks ok, anyone heard or seen anything with this model?

The 2200 is supposed to be terrible, infact so much that its hard to get it over stock speed. Anyway thats what i heard and the reason why i didnt get a 2200+.

it depends on stepping. JUHIB/JUIB, then ur out of luck, they suck. Anything else then ur ok!

Mine is overclocked right now to 1.93GHz from it's stock speed of 1.8GHz. I could go higher but my memory is running Async at 333MHz stock, I don't really care to clock the memory down and lose 50MBps avg. in mem bandwidth. 133MHz is not a bad overclock. 143 BUS X 13.5 Clock.

just bought a athlon XP1700 + mobo

114$

also 512ddr 80$

big improvement from 256 sdram and p3 1ghz

dont overspend thats all i can say.

its never worth it.

if you already have a decent athlon XP or p4

stick with it

at least until the new athlons or pentium chips come out.

or get nforce2 smile