Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Yaku

Thoughts on NVidia Detonators 42.82 or better...

still a pile of s*** for serious gamers at least, every driver since 42.01 brings a black flickery screen thats worse on your eyes than i'd imagine playing at 20hz would be, in Quake 3 if you ctrl-esc to another app (such as mirc in on top mode) or alt-enter to windowed then back.

every single one :o(

I can't imagine this to JUST effect q3, surely at least all q3engine games ? if not many openGL ones.

win xp

geforece 3 ti-500

q3@800x600x32 vync off

I just got rid of my nVidia card for an ATI 9700, but I can tell you I had some serious problems with the 42.82s. I had a Geforce 3 and had serious problems with DVD playback. Often PowerDVD would report back a problem with nview for some reason, usally a reboot would clear it. I never experienced it with the drivers prior to the 42.82s. But I noticed most during noone lives forever 2. About halfway through the game I upgraded to the 42.82s and it would take much longer to load each level. Weird. I quickly went back to the old drivers.

I rolled back to the 40.72 version. Was the most stable Detonator 4 for me. I think it was WHQL too. Maybe that has something to do with it. I have experienced better luck with drivers that are WHQL certified. Also the 41.09 drivers gave me nview problems too now that I think of it.

I also posted a very small improvement in 3DMark 01 going back to the 40.72 driver but nothing to write home about.

Hope this helps.

the 43.00 drivers are stable for me in 2d modes. Now if i could only get my damn Radeon 9500 working i wouldnt worry about nVidia cards. Time to go buy a new motherboard frown