Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CyberGenX

Nvidia Registry Tweak please...

Could someone post the registry tweak to unlock the overclocking features of Nvidia. Thanks in advance.

Sure thing.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]"CoolBits"=dword:00000003

i need to ask, becuase i don't kno much about it, overclocking the graphics card, what exactly is that doing? will it give me better fps if i was to do it? also i heard sumthin that it could overheat the card is that true?

That tweak enables the option in display settings to control clock speed and memory speed of the card. Yes it can cause damage to your card, it is recommended that if you use this tweak you do it in increments of 1MHz. Also have proper cooling.

how will i know if i have proper cooling??, or how will i kno if i am damaging my card? i have the nvidia geforce 3, and sometimes in a game i play online my fps gets so low and then it starts skippin, but then it usually fixes itself

You will know if you went too far when your game/windows locks up or you start to see wierd video anomolies. Proper cooling usually consists of a Heat Sink and Fan on your card's GPU. If you overclock your card by a lot then you should get a bigger HS&F and may want to consider small heatsinks for your video memory.

if i do go to far will it cause any permanent damage to the card, and with the normal cooling that came with the geforce 3 how far do u think i can over clock it?

Yes you can damage the card if you do not go slowly. With normal cooling usually about 10%. If you have a higher end card maybe more.

the best util for overclocking is Rivatuner your can get it @ www.guru3d.com

The performance increase you will get out of your card overclocking it with the default cooling (depending on how good it is) is usually not that much. I have a GeForce 4 ti4200 and i have had it overclocked to 300 memory and like something else core. Anyway i only got about another 3-5FPS out of it, and the card still ran stable.

Differnt cards overclock differently. I had a Gf2MX that would not overclock to crap, then a GeForce 3 that was moderately good at it, and now my GF4 which is good @ it. So it depends on who makes the card who makes the memory, how good the cooling is and what the voltage on the card is.

If you really want to go the extra 10 yards you can also volt mod the card which will allow you to increase the voltage and overclock the card more than you would normally do.

As always make sure you know what you are doing because you can turn a nice card into nothing but a nice green PCB and blown capaictors.

Quote:
Differnt cards overclock differently. I had a Gf2MX that would not overclock to crap, then a GeForce 3 that was moderately good at it, and now my GF4 which is good @ it. So it depends on who makes the card who makes the memory, how good the cooling is and what the voltage on the card is.

Exactly, and also different production runs from the same manufacturer can have varying results.

Quote:
As always make sure you know what you are doing because you can turn a nice card into nothing but a nice green PCB and blown capaictors.

Also worth noting is any overclocking voids your warranty.