Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ross_aveling

Windows 2K Remote Administration Advice

Hi All,

I would like some advice about remote administration using Terminal Services.

We are currently using a Windows 2000 Server for basic networking duties (DHCP, IIS, NAT etc..) along with a few workstations running XP pro. The server hasn't been promoted to a DC though. I would like to administer the server from any one of the XP machines.

I have installed Terminal Services (Remote Administration mode) and can successfully connect to the server using the supplied Remote Desktop Connection utility in XP. But each session runs as a separate desktop from the 'real' desktop on the server. I would like to be able to remotely control the same desktop as what is displayed on the server monitor and as such see the same actions mirrored on each screen (if you see what I mean).

I understand that you can remotely control machines using WTS but when I load up the Terminal Services Manager MMC and right click on the connected session, the option to 'Remote Control' is disabled and I can't click on it. Is it possible to do what I am after?

Thanks in advance

Ross Aveling

Quote:
I would like to be able to remotely control the same desktop as what is displayed on the server monitor and as such see the same actions mirrored on each screen (if you see what I mean).

That would require a third party application ... PCanywhere, Dameware Utilities, etc ... Terminal Services is not meant to be a true alternative to the desktop/console.

Also you can only remote control other TS sessions.

If I am mistaken in something, please feel free to jump in.

Quote:
Also you can only remote control other TS sessions.

I thought this might be the case. I have heard of VNC before, but wanted to explore all avenues, I'll give it a try.

Thanks guys.