Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
philbarnes

Problems with a Realtek NIC (on MB) and 3com switch

Hi all,

Hooking up my various computers to a 3com Cable Router/Switch and all except one of them want to connect to the switch. My main one. Typical.

Its currently using a Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Driver and the switch is a 3com OfficeConnect Cable/DSL Gateway

Problem: When it connects to the router, it keeps connecting and disconnecting repeatedly.

Any ideas ?

I had a stab at all the obvious solutions and fiddled with the network card settings and even downloaded a driver from the Abit website but to no avail.

Did it work correctly previously? If so, what has changed since then? If not, try up[censored] firmwares on the NIC and the router/switch. Also, are you running vendor-specific drivers or generic drivers for your NIC?

1) it did work correctly previously, but with an old 10Mb/s hub

2) as it didn't work I tried re-installing windows, but that didn't help

3) originally used drivers with WinXP, but then tried the drivers on the website

4) router/switch is brand new and works with a sony laptop and three other desktop computers, all with completely different configurations, so i am guessing its this card

only thing I haven't tried is up[censored] the BIOS of the motherboard and I am usually slightly wary before doing things like that

I think this is a hardware problem!

PS Have ordered a nice new 3com NIC which should then make things work - i.e. I give up ! However would like to know what the problem is.....

Something easy to test is the cable. Have you tried a different one? How long is the run? I assume it is a cat-5 cable, but I have had problems connecting with long runs. (over 40').

yeah i thought of that, have tried a really short cable that came with the router, a longer one that I had lying around and a really long one that was hidden in a cupboard.

no luck

and those cables all work with other computers

now you can see why this is really niggling...

Have you tried another port on the router/switch? I've seen some bad ports. Also, IIRC, cat5 can run 100 meters (~385 feet) with no problems, without a hub, switch, repeater, etc.

I have a similar problem with a D-Link router with a 4-port switch. Did you ever get a resolution of your problem?

Jay