10 replies to this topic

#1 philbarnes

philbarnes

journeyman

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 07:10 PM

Hi all,

Hooking up my various computers to a 3com Cable Router/Switch and all except one of them want to connect to the switch. My main one. Typical.

Its currently using a Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Driver and the switch is a 3com OfficeConnect Cable/DSL Gateway

Problem: When it connects to the router, it keeps connecting and disconnecting repeatedly.

Any ideas ?

I had a stab at all the obvious solutions and fiddled with the network card settings and even downloaded a driver from the Abit website but to no avail.

#2 adamvjackson

adamvjackson

Pooh-Bah

• Members
  • 2174 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 09:14 PM

Did it work correctly previously? If so, what has changed since then? If not, try up[censored] firmwares on the NIC and the router/switch. Also, are you running vendor-specific drivers or generic drivers for your NIC?

#3 philbarnes

philbarnes

journeyman

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 10:32 PM

1) it did work correctly previously, but with an old 10Mb/s hub

2) as it didn't work I tried re-installing windows, but that didn't help

3) originally used drivers with WinXP, but then tried the drivers on the website

4) router/switch is brand new and works with a sony laptop and three other desktop computers, all with completely different configurations, so i am guessing its this card

only thing I haven't tried is up[censored] the BIOS of the motherboard and I am usually slightly wary before doing things like that

I think this is a hardware problem!

PS Have ordered a nice new 3com NIC which should then make things work - i.e. I give up ! However would like to know what the problem is.....

#4 richk

richk

stranger

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 10:42 PM

Something easy to test is the cable. Have you tried a different one? How long is the run? I assume it is a cat-5 cable, but I have had problems connecting with long runs. (over 40').

#5 philbarnes

philbarnes

journeyman

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 10:45 PM

yeah i thought of that, have tried a really short cable that came with the router, a longer one that I had lying around and a really long one that was hidden in a cupboard.

no luck

and those cables all work with other computers

now you can see why this is really niggling...

#6 adamvjackson

adamvjackson

Pooh-Bah

• Members
  • 2174 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 10:54 PM

Have you tried another port on the router/switch? I've seen some bad ports. Also, IIRC, cat5 can run 100 meters (~385 feet) with no problems, without a hub, switch, repeater, etc.

#7 philbarnes

philbarnes

journeyman

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 11:00 PM

fraid so !

#8 adamvjackson

adamvjackson

Pooh-Bah

• Members
  • 2174 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 11:03 PM

Try this, just for the sake of argument...

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;299357

How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
Code:
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

From a cmd prompt.

#9 DS3Circuit

DS3Circuit

old hand

• Members
  • 739 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 05:10 PM

Outta curiosity

Did you pin the speed and duplexing on the NIC?

#10 philbarnes

philbarnes

journeyman

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 11:03 PM

not sure i understand you. but i did try setting the speed settings manually in the properties dialog in xp

#11 2many

2many

stranger

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 12:33 AM

I have a similar problem with a D-Link router with a 4-port switch. Did you ever get a resolution of your problem?

Jay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq