Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bossen

Glide emulator for Radeon 9700pro?

im wondering if anyone knows of any good glide emulator to make games like d2 work in glide mode on radeon cards?

I've tried a bunch of glide2x.dll emulators but it seems d2 requires glide3x.dll ( i dont know the real difference between the two ) so i figured i'd ask you guys.

Tiv

I'm assuming d2 = Diablo 2? If so why don't you just run it in Direct3d mode? Should play just fine on your system and I think the graphics are better in D3D (personal preference tho).

Jim

Emulators that require Glide3x.dll emulate a Voodoo 3. Emulators that require Glide2x.dll emulate a Voodoo 2.

Why don't you run it in D3D?

i can run it in d3d but diablo 2 was built for glide so glide = more fps.

Thats why im trying to get glide to work.

Tiv

Would you really gain that much? From my experience glide wrappers give less fps than the real thing so D3D might give you better results.

if u got a radeon 9700 pro FPS should never be a problem, especially for diablo 2! Try it in D3D.

Anyway, the human eye cant tell the difference between frame rates above 60, some people say that with a "trained eye" u may be able to, but its just the fact that the human eye has its limits in how much it can see....

Err....Diablo 2 was not built for Glide.

1. Diablo 1 only supported DirectDraw.

2. Diablo 2 supports DirectDraw,Direct3D & Glide.

3. Glide was only included for extra support of Voodoo boards.

4. D3D is better graphically in D2 than Glide...and much more supported considering that Glide is essentialy dead considering that the company that created it is no more.

5. Q: Consider the fact that even IF D2 IS better with Glide...how can it be better if your running it under an emulator. A: It won't be.

Hi DoskFreak and others,

Actually the glide verison of D2 is dramatically better than the DirectX version and that's totally Interplay's fault. There are possibly more polygon's with D2 Glide, but there are definetly better textures, way better! The DX version is butt only the glide version is the only way to travel. Alternatively you could just spend about 10 bucks on ebay, Half.com, or DirectDeals.com and buy yourself a copy of D3. However I didn't really find the space ship movement to be as good as it was in D2. The graphics however are much, much, much better. As far as I know D3 is technolgically better than Quake 2 and Unreal in fact. Not only that you have your choice of Glide, D3D, or OpenGL and there's even a Unix version if you go both ways smile.

-Christian

why not just buy the voodoo2 off ebay?

most people sell it around 5$

im getting one myself because im getting really tired of

using slow/crappy emus that never work.

also some emus out there charge money for full version

its probably cheaper in the long run to have the actual thing!

i think one of the 2k drivers only has glide support, so it shouldnt make all your games use the voodoo2 for 3d acceleration. just glide.

since its a pci addon card, you can have it coexisting with a

radeon 9700!!

sounds easier than emulators, no?

oh well, just my 2 cents.

Hi Priv,

I don't doubt that it may be "easier" than emulators, however the additional cable length and pass-through design will most likely dregrade your 2D performance and quality. Have you already bought one and are you experiencing any visual anomalies? I doubt something like 1600x1200x32bit would work in 2D passing through your Voodoo2. You should check one of those old Voodoo2 product spec sheets and make sure that it'll support your current resolution and color depth combo. Also I too have a voodoo2 in the closet for that very reason smile.

Good Luck,

Christian Blackburn

I used to have SLI, but I gave one of the cards to my nephews and niece, because they still play games and I practically do not.

-Christian