Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
retrofire

WinXP PRO: Backup and Restore for HD upgrade?

Hola all,

I am redesigning my system data-storage in the sense that I'm putting Serial ATA converters on my two existing 80GB HDD's and will RAID them using the SATA RAID interface on my motherboard.

I don't want to level the system and rebuild, so what I was going to do is use the Backup utility built into WinXP Pro (SP1a) and save the image on a network drive on a separate computer.

When I had reformatted my two hard drives for a RAID array and reinstalled WinXP from CD, I was going to run the Restore utility on the image I'd saved on my other box.

I've heard there are problems with the Backup and Restore utility built into WinXP and wanted to throw this out there in hopes anyone has tried this or has knowledge that running through 20 pages of Google searches didn't provide.

Please let me know! Thanks in advance.

Ret

Its a shame the backup utilities that come with Windows (and Windows XP) never evolved fast enough for modern-day needs. These backup utilities are ONLY useful if you just want to back up the dfata. However, if you want to back up a DRIVE so u can have all the settings and the EXACT structure of the drive saved, you will need to use Norton ghost.

I recommend norton ghost. it also has options to save an image file to some hard drive (which you can move to the network later), or even burn the iumage on multiple bootable CDs.

If i where you I would look into Norton Ghost and make my life easier smile

symantec products suck, they never seem to work right. At least that is my experience with em. For imaging use either PowerQuest Deploy Center or PQ Drive Image 2002. Both programs are just as good, you might want to run sysprep too if you are going to be installing the image on other boxes.

Norton works great for me smile Never had anything but pleasant experiences with them. Although I will admit many people seem to have problems with them. It seems the same number of people who swear by Symantec products (like myself) also absolutely hate it.

Ironic eh?