Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Raybaby

Unreadable CDRW after using INCD

Just thought I should pass on some valuable info (IMHO), over the last year I've been unfortunate to have somehow made useless discs out of CDRW, I've been using Nero INCD (I don't believe it's Nero's fault...I just think that packet writing to CDRW's is a flawed technology). The CDRW's are made in the correct manner, are always ejected in the correct manner (software eject....NOT by pushing the eject button on the burner), all burning has supposedly gone ahead (no pun intended) all ok, but mysteriously one day they become unreadable, any PC you put them in thinks they are blank cdrw's, but they can't be written to nor can any data be seen or copied from these discs.

Anyway the upshot is that after some surfing I encountered a proram that actually WORKS & can recover all lost data on theses unreadable CDRW's. Here is the link http//www.smart-projects.net/isobuster/ .

I'm no way asscoiated with ISObuster the only reason I mention it is that credit should be given were credit is due. It's a free download, but you have to pay for it (US$20) if you want to extract the files to your hard drive, etc. I've already recovered my money, well spent in getting all my unreadable data back from 6 CDRW's........oh heaven crazy

UDF Packet writing has always been problematic. When Adaptec came out with DirectCD it actually worked pretty well, and, was quite reliable. I remember using it a lot. After Roxio took it over, there were problems, and the compatibility between DirectCD and Nero's InCD was, in any case, nonexistent. It came to the point of where you really couldn't depend on Packet writing as a safe recording method. I think that is still the case.

At the same time CDRW speeds increased, and the cost of standard recordable media dropped. Someplace along the line, CDRWs became irrelevant. It's just faster, and cheaper, and, easier to burn a new CD.

When Adaptec came out with DirectCD it actually worked pretty well, and, was quite reliable. I remember using it a lot. After Roxio took it over, there were problems

Roxio didn't exactly take EasyCD over.

Roxio is just the name of the division that looks after the software, it is exactly the same people who always were working on it.

Roxio was simply a name change.

Anyway, back to the subject in hand.

That is a very useful link actually and I can actually see the use of such software.

Packet Writing is not my favourite technology and at home I tend to create CD's the "proper" way.

The girlfriend on the other hand wants the ability to be able to drag and drop files onto the CD-RW drive and so that is what she has.

As of yet she hasn't had any disks go bad, but I think I may well go and grab myself a copy of that software ready for when things do go wrong.

i had encountered a similar problem. I dont remember if it was with a CD burned using Direct CD 3.x then trying to read it on 5 or something with InCD and that. Anyway i had the same problem, i think it had to do with a conflict in ASPI drivers and the version of the program i was running. Thx for the link i will check that program out.

I'm not sure if this is related, but I encountered a problem of a InCD formatted CDRW becoming unreadable at one time. It happened after I installed the latest version of InCD (version 3.5.22.0b) in my home rig (which had WinXP). I then reformatted one of my CDRW's with it, then popped that disc into a PC with Win2k. That PC then asked to install a program called EasyCDReader, which I did install. After that I tried popping in another CDRW that was formatted by an older version of InCD into that Win2k PC, and that CD ended up unreadable until I uninstalled that EasyCDReader program. I took a close look at the new InCD program and discovered a new checkbox labelled "Format using CD-MRW" (CD-MRW is the new "Mount Rainier" format developed by Philips for Packet writing on CDRW's). I unchecked that, then reformatted again that CDRW I reformatted, and the problem disappeared. Seems Windows 2000 supports reading CDRW's of the older packet format, but not the Mount Rainier (CD-MRW) format.