Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Guvernment

Anyone have an experience with the A7N8X motherboard?

Hey all

well my uncle is doing a switch from Intel - which he has used since his 386! over to AMD and is going ro grab an AMD 3000+

This is the mobo he wants - anyone have any feedback?

He will be getting an ATI video card - 8x AGP for sure... been hearing alot of issues with 8xAGP - but is it mainly VIA chipsets? as this board uses the nforce2 chipset......

any feed back would be great

ALso - could any one recommend any good "dual" motherboards that could hold 2 3000+?

It's a very good board for what it has to offer. Just make sure the latest BIOS will work with that Barton 3000 processor.

I'm planing on getting the Abit NF7-S board wich also has the nForce2 chipset, just because I like it a bit more. But to each thier own.

Later....

Quote:

ALso - could any one recommend any good "dual" motherboards that could hold 2 3000+?

The only people who put out Dual AMD rigs of any significance are Tyan
(http://www.tyan.com/index2.htmland) and IWill
(http://www.iwillusa.com/products/ProductLV2.asp?vID=92&SID=50&MID=25)

Now a Tyan Thunder with 2 fast mp's, a gig or so of memory, and, intregal SCSI... I could get hot about that laugh

no 3000+ yet to my knowledge though.
frown

yeah, i haven't sene any 3000+ supported - or any that say directly they will support and 3k, only like 2800+ and faster! - well more detial would be nice, like how much faster?

Just i have been hearing and hearing alot fo issues with ASUS newest mobo and how u got alot of prep work just to get it booting right.

That is a good board you're getting.

Both the KT400 and the Nforce2 boards have some serious compatibility problems with AGP 2.0 cards. They will work with Geforce2 GTS cards (and the Nforce2 will work with an Ultra), but they won't work with a Ti4200 4xagp card.

They work very well with all the 8x cards that are out right now. Even the Ti4200 64meg 8x agp cards.

There has been a slew of low voltage bios batteries out. When you get the board, pop the battery out and check it. It should be 3.2v or above. Brand new, out of the package from Walmart, they test at 3.3v. It's a function of alkaline batterys to be way overvolted.

If it's at 3.05 (like mine is) or under, seriously consider swapping out that battery before you start getting glitches and bios setting defaults.

You can mod the mainboard (short out pins on the backside) of it rather than unlocking your processor. It's easier, and considerably more safe as the soldier points are further apart than the bridges.

^^^

well, haven't bought it yet - due to the numerous 8xAGP problems, and as u stated batterie issues people are having - i believe they are making a new revision of this board? (2.0 or 1.1) or i may have miss read it as it maybe abit and one of their boards.

but yeah, no Nvidia card - my uncles will be buying an ATi card as him much like me - simply prefer them, as it will likely be a AIW - preferably a 256mb version when they finally pop em out.

Just over on hardcop forums - alot of people having various issue with this board, but read an FAQ on how to get it working okay, so hope that does it, if this board is the one to be bought.

This would be his first AMD cpu - so want to try and make it as easy for him as possible, as he does not really have the knowledge to read throuh forums and understand what is what, so i am more of less his computer consultant.

As far as I amware there are no issues with the A7N8X and the Radeon 9700. 8X AGP working fine over here and I got my 9700 when it first came out. THis board is great....even tho I hate the integrated components you can disable them all. The Nforce boards ARE the BEST Athlon mobos that you can get...and far better than Intel boards if your a gamer/enthusiast.

all i'll say is that in critical benchmarks, the A7N8X is the winner 99% of the time, which is better than any other motherboard to date.

Several reviews have given it 'Top Choice' award.

I have got three MSI / Asus Nforce2 rigs with old 4x GF4 Ti4200s up and running with no problem at all.

Before I had flashed all boards with the most current BIOS revisions, so I'd suggest doing that if you have problems over there.

The A7N8X is an excellent motherboard. EXCELLENT!. You might want to head over to http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/index.php and check out the potential problems there. The user base there is enormous. It may seem that there are a lot of problems listed but remeber that the more users there are, the more problems there will be. The huge user base is great for problem sovling. There are very few problems left unresolved.

They have links to reviews listed as well. Hope it helps you out.