Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hubert

Changing the domain of a NT 4.0 Server...

Hey all,

I have a project this weekend to reformat and reinstall a NT4 server. The server is actually very clean as it is, and the only reason for the reinstall was to switch domains. It's in an old domain, then the company switched names, and would like to have it join the new one.

It is not a domain controller, nor does it do anything like DHCP, WNS, DNS, etc... It is simply a member server that has the network SAN attached to it for fileserver purposes.

Can I simply remove it from the current domain, and have it join the new domain without any worries about the SIDs or any other Window-isms?

Yes. Just delete it from your current server manager, and have it join the new domain. It will have it's own sid because it's a member server.

However, if you want to give it a new sid, just for gigles, check out newsid from www.sysinternals.com

Its a member server being placed into another domain to run SAN ?

I wouldnt worry about SIDs or anything else .... unless you have third party software that runs under a service account.

Thx guys.

It's a pure member server (with a SAN attached). The idea is to have it moved into the new domain (with the SAN). The SAN is used to store home directories, mandatory profiles, and miscellaneous files. The netlogon is handled by another server all together. I don't plan on changing the name of this server or anything. There isn't any software running that requires any security accounts in the old or new domain.

Basically, what I was planning to do was go into the network properties (my NT is rusty, so bear with me), remove it from Domain A, then make it join Domain B. I'll reboot, log in with the Domain B admin account. If I need to, I'll go into server manager of the Domain B PDC, and add the server. Am I missing anything?

Quote:
Yes. Just delete it from your current server manager, and have it join the new domain. It will have it's own sid because it's a member server.

However, if you want to give it a new sid, just for gigles, check out newsid from www.sysinternals.com

that's it! Goto the server manager of your current pdc to remove it from the domain, not from the network applet.

then in the network applet of the member server, you can join the new domain. It will prompt you for an account with permission that can add the pc to the domain, type it in. This will create the computer account in the new domain, you will not need server manager in the new domani.

duhmez,

Yup, that did it. Worked like a charm. Thanks for the help everyone.