Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
just

New Computer - no games?

I just got finished building a new computer. Everything seems to run okay except games. When I try to play a game, the game freezes. frown The games I have tried so far are Medal of Honor - Allied Assault and Red Faction. Sometimes the game will work for a minute and I can play, but the video is choppy, and as soon as the fighting gets intense it freezes, and I have to shut it down in the task manager. I am running Windows 2000 SP2. Hardware is as follows; Motherboard - Shuttle AK37GT w/ AMD Athlon XP 2100 & 256 MB PC2700. Video - NVidia GEForce2 MX400 64mb. I have downloaded the latest drivers for the video card, and I am running DirectX 8.1. Any Suggestions, I have messed with it for days with no success. ;( Thanks

Well I'm not aware of any specific issues with that mobo but your video card is EXTREMELY inferior to the rest of the hardware. It's been awhile since I've used one of those cards...2+ years? So I'd guess that 800X600 with the settings maxed would run well with MOH:AA and Red Faction.

The freezing problems might be a temperature issue, insufficient cooling on the processor....

That video card is plenty for those games @ 800x600. INstall new via 4 in 1 drivers and you will be fine I'm sure. (If you have already dopne that then i don't know)

Install the OS from Scratch.

Install the latest 4 in 1 drivers first

THen the Video Drivers

THen the Sound Drivers

THen any other drivers.

THen INstall any service packs

Install Direct x 9 last

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871,00.html

Make sure that in the BIOS AGP is set to 2X or 4X or Auto.

Make sure that your AGP aperature size is at least 64MB.

Take note as to what IRQ your video card is using and if it is sharing with another device.

Try installing SP3, it solves a few issues.

Try installing the latest Det. 4 REFERENCE Drivers.

Make sure VIA 4-in-1 are installed as mentioned above.

Thanks for all the answers. I have finally figured it out (I Hope). I think that I had a bad Ram Chip. I swapped the ram out with a different chip, and I haven't crashed yet. I've played several different games and haven't had choppy graphics or sound either. Hopefully that was the problem. Thanks laugh

Quote:

(Pain in the butt redoing a machine, is loading the software...

i must say, i LOVE reformating, i think it is some sick fetish i got..lol

is like, brand new, crisp and clean! start from scratch, - i think it has to do with me being a neat freak, that a fresh format seems so "clean" no corrupted files, all from scratch!

i like to format, and put in my apps all neat and non fragmented!..lol - although it may take a few days for me to get in everything i got, after a format i only install things as i need them.