Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mystiq

Magic Carpet 2 (game from the ice age), runs, but barely...

Contrary to the compatibility information listed on this site, it does run, though it's not exactly playable, at least on my computer.

Sometimes it complains about not being able to copy level data onto the hard drive (I find copying the CD to your hard drive helps a lot in this case) and other times Windows hisses and spits about too little virtual memory but in the event that the game runs, the mouse is restricted to like a 64x64 block of pixels in the upper left corner. No matter of playing with USB vs PS2 or emulators seems to help. There's also serious problems with sound emulators in DOS but I think I can handle that on my own.

I have no problems getting the game to run in DOS but as I have a Soundblaster Audigy for which I can't find DOS drivers for, it's rather boring with no sound.

Help? This is driving me :x

Yay, the game runs! And I can play it! 8)

I'm just curious. Last time I was able to play it in Windows 98, when in high res mode the game used to crash -- a lot. Is this a result of the game or the VESA driver? I already passed one part where it does this but I went into low res so I don't have to find out. 8)

Cannot say without knowing the error in Win 98. Last time I played it was back in '96?? when it first came out and I played it in pure DOS of course because '95 was a big pile of ...errr something. wink

NOLFB simply removes access to the Linear Frame Buffer for VESA programs that try to access it. (Which most later VESA programs do) The LFB provides faster VESA and also more VESA modes...unfortunately NT4/2k/XP seem to not be able to provide full access to the LFB which causes most VESA programs that try to use it to crap out or have messed up displays. NOLFB removes access to it so that the program uses NON LFB modes which while slower work fine in most cases.

Glad to hear it worked for ya, Magic Carpet 2 is an awesome game that definetly deserved a sequel.