Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Andy2k

USB bandwidth reserves under XP

Is it possible to vary the 'fixed' amount of bandwidth that the system reserves for each USB port?

I'm running a cable modem on USB, and also have a 4 USB port PCI card, and a MS keyboard with USB ports.

The Modem is plugged into USB 1, and the keyboard port is plugged into USB 2.

I have a USB mouse on the keyboard hub, and a ZIP drive (this gets swapped out with other devices sometimes)

There will only be a printer on the 4 port card.

I noticed that one of the USB ports (1 I think) has 20% of system bandwidth assigned to it, and all the others have 10%. Even when I only had the two ports by themselves, these percentages didn't change.

Disabling a couple of the Ports on the PCI card didn't do anything to this either.

Is there any way to reassign the resources so that the port with the Modem has a greater percentage of bandwidth reserved?

I tried to connect the modem via an ethernet NIC, but the software that came with the modem sulked, and refused to reasign DHCP IP addresses for it, which is why I went back to USB.

Am using Win XP home, with all service packs/updates.

Athlon 1100, 512 MB RAM.

Cable modem should be at 600K/s but usually only manages 200K. I have Norton Firewall and AV running, but disabling these doesn't seem to make a great difference to the speed.

Any help appreciated.