Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr0iv2

The fix for Windows XP not letting you delete .avi

i found this at another forum, but its good advice.

1 problem, how do you do this in 2000? anybody?

I've seen this coming up more and more all over the place so I figured I'd stick it here.

Avi files (divx) can be trouble in xp. there is a fix to let xp behave much better so it's possible to move or delete large avi files. The obnoxious bug in XP that causes Explorer to read the entire contents of broken AVI files before allowing any access to them is caused by bad behavior of shmedia.dll.

To correct this misbehavior in Windows XP, remove the following

registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}\InProcServer32

This will prevent Explorer from loading shmedia.dll in response to file property queries on these files.

Just an extra note, if you do a "search" for this key it will not be found, look for it manually it is very easy to find. As always newbie or not, if you FUBAR your registry its your own fault. This fix does work, I use it and have applied it to many XP machines. Now go ahead and fix this royal pain in the ass!

To fix this in 2000 (It has similar issue but not because of shmedia.dll)

Goto folder options>classic folders

I edit and compress ALOT of media, so I was real quick to discover this problem in XP. I had avi files 20-80 gigabytes in size that I could not get rid of... imagine that......

Now I have time I will splain the lesser degree issue in win2k. The XP one is bad and locks it no matter what you do.

In 2k you click the file and wmp previews it on the left. now, cut the file. (Cutting automatically previews too cause of the right click)

Now, CLose the folder, and paste it somewhere else. It wont paste. WMP is still accessing it. NOw, go back into the folder and click another media file. The new media file will preview, thereby letting go of the original one that was cut. Now you can freely pastte the file that you cut.

INterestingl;y, if you click on a fil, and hit delete , it will indeed delete fine (in win2k) but the cut procedure fails if you navigate out of the foler. evemn if you preview(click on) another media file in another folder, the previous one will still be locked from the preview generated during the cut operation.

This is when I found the fix to enable classic folders (Someone from here tipped me off to this option I believe) and disable wmp preview funciton altogether.

Now XP is a whole other bag. It combines BOTH problems, the cutting issue from wmp not letting go of previewed files, and the avi specific one regarding shmedia.dll.

This, combined with the consistant disappearance of the status bar made me go back to win2k, in classic folder mode. It has been smooth sailing ever since.

Duhmez, have you thought about filing a bug report with Microsoft? Hopefully those issues could/would be addressed in a future SP...

Duhmez, have you thought about filing a bug report with Microsoft? Hopefully those issues could/would be addressed in a future SP...
Quote:

very good idea