Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
el_vago32

Recover information

ok, i can't believe this has happened to me, cause everyday i'm working with client's workstations and sometimes their HD's are that damaged that we can't recover the information....well that's not the point, the issue is that my 40 gb HD has just blowed up and it's making that typical sound it makes when the internal heads are collapsing.

i figured that i could recover most of the information, cause it (the problem) usually happens but not inmediately i boot up the the pc (i just put my HD as slave inother pc), but there are many folders i can't access nor copy because of the security stuff on NTFS in winxp, so the thing is that i would need to boot my damaged HD's OS up, and copy those folders to another drive, and as u can see that's virtually imposible in the coditions it is.

so, my question is: isthere a way to access those protected folders without having to boot up the OS?

any comments, suggestions...?, plz, i need to recover that info.

I understand that the knoppix bootable Linux CD works just great to access NTFS volumes. So good in fact that somebody was gripeing about a big security risk blablabla....

Sounds like just the thing laugh

Definately an idea, but I personally think the goal in this instance is to avoid an unnecessary hdd activity, to allow backup of selected files. The hdd activity from ghosting may be just enough to finish it off.

Quote:
I understand that the knoppix bootable Linux CD works just great to access NTFS volumes. So good in fact that somebody was gripeing about a big security risk blablabla....

Sounds like just the thing laugh

That's a good point... I looked at an older release of Knoppix, and it's definately worthwile to have that in your toolbox! Even for the Linux newbie, you don't have to install it, if you feel like experimenting, all you have to do is reboot!

Quote:
Forgive me for sounding dense, but how about just ghosting it? :P

actually, it was the first thing that came into my mind, but:
Quote:
Definately an idea, but I personally think the goal in this instance is to avoid an unnecessary hdd activity, to allow backup of selected files. The hdd activity from ghosting may be just enough to finish it off.

no comments about that..
ahh!, i'll try that tool on a few hours cause right now i'm at work, and one last thing is that i posted this mssg in the wrong forum, it was supossed to be in "windows xp and windows server 2003", and this is the "windows 2000" forum..well, just in case someone though i'm blind or something, and to make note that my system is Winxp Pro, not Win2k.

ufff!!, i've taken a very, very deep breath.

after i tried ntrecover, i saw that was kinda hard to get that working, so a friend of mine told me about WIN2k and that i could set the permissions with just a right click on the folder i wanted to, and on the security tab, there i could do it.

it was just that, everything is ok now, and i'm happy laugh , not worried anymore, thx u guys for helping me.