Bursar

"Beware of GEEKS bearing gifts" in WindowsUpdates

Someone at the company I work for received this email:

Quote:

Dear Sir / Madam

ref: Windows Security Update.

Please call Microsoft Technical Support on 0871 xxx xxxx for your

Microsoft Windows security update.

Due to recently intensified Internet Virus and Hacker Attacks, it is vitally important that

you update your personal computer's Microsoft Windows operating system.

Please call 0871 xxx xxxx. Thankyou.

Kind Regards

Microsoft Technical Support

Anti-Virus/Anti-Hacking Windows Update

Tel: 0871 xxx xxxx

Obviously a hoax, but we had to phone the number to be sure wink Within a couple of rings, a guy answered (first clue - MS don't answer the phone that quickly), and the second giveaway was the kids screaming in the background. Could have been 'bring your children to work day' I guess laugh

I reckon someone has just decided to setup a high cost phone line and see how many people he can sucker in.

I'd have loved to stay on the phone to see what he was upto, but I wasn't going to line his pockets any more than needed.

sad thing is is that it is compltly legal to do that, set up a phone line and u get the $$ for it.

unless of course you are falsly advertising a service to which you then do not provide.

i say sue this mofo! for false advertising and copyright infringement.

A far easier solution would be so simply pass the e-mail on to abuse@microsoft.com

Now when Mr. I'll make some money gets a knock on the door at 7:00am and finds five Microsoft lawyers stood there he might think twice about running such a scam again.

Quote:
Someone at the company I work for received this email:

Quote:
...Please call Microsoft Technical Support on 0871 xxx xxxx for your
Microsoft Windows security update....

I reckon someone has just decided to setup a high cost phone line and see how many people he can sucker in.

Nice in theory, but an 087x number is national rate, not premium rate. Therefore I'm pretty sure that only BT (or whoever your phone company is) will profit from it.

EDIT: No I'm wrong, sorry:
Quote:
http://www.tilehurst.net/infopool/phone_codes.html
0871: internet services (may be a charge)

So feel free to ignore what I just said smile

It's an important point though, BT really need to inform people better as to which numbers have which rates. I shouldn't have to do a google search to find it out.