Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Curley_Boy

Oh the joys of 'Plug n Pray'

I've recently inherited my parent's old Pentium PC (they've just bought a brand spanking new one for vid editing laugh ).

So I thought this would be a brilliant oppotunity to set up a dedicated NT file/print server and have a separate partition for Win95 and ol DOS games...

Windows NT4 portion... worked fine from the word go, no crashes, no hardware confilcts, nothing... it just worked!

Windows 95 was a different story altogether! So far it's been 2 full days of BSODs, hardlocks and device conflicts... God even recognising the RIGHT hardware was a pain in the neck. The network wouldn't work on the 95 partition... Games refused to dectect the sound card... basically everything that could go wrong DID go wrong! To quote Apple's Ad 'My PC wasn't plug n play, it was plug and get mad' just about sums it up!

I think in certain situations 'plug n play' ho ho ho... is more trouble than its worth, with NT it dectected only what I needed, with no frilly extras and left the rest up to me, making my job a heck of alot easier when I needed to fine tune it... *sigh*

Anyhow BOTH OSes work ok now... though it's taken long enough, and I'm quite proud of the fact that I managed to set up DOS from a 6 year break from it, from scratch, without much of a problem. smile

So the next time I hear someone complain about how hard XP is (supposedly) to get used to I'll say 'You don't know how easy you have it!'