Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ron_Jeremy

Back to makin videos

I'm building a PC strictly to have some fun with a friend's video camera, & to fool around in programs like Photoshop. I have 2 simple questions smile

1: ATI's AIW 8500 or Matrox's Marvel G450 eTV?

2: Pentium 4 2.4B (Intel PE chipset) or AMD XP2400 (nForce2 chipset)?

Regarding the video cards, I have had terrible "luck" with ATI's past drivers. Also, I know absolutely nothing about this, or any other Matrox card (it was heavily recommended by a few of my friends). But, I will entertain all suggestions.

The winner gets a small part (no pun intended) in da movie laugh

So, wat ya'll gotta say?

I would suggest going with the Athlon XP2400 and nForce2 chipset.

I would shoot just a bit higher and go with the AIW 9700 Pro

I've not heard anything bad " as of yet " with this card as far as video capture and the sort.

i'm looking forward to having a All-In-Wonder 9700 pro myself, but it seems like matrox also has some very amazing PCI captire cards that seem to have a very good quality. if you are a gamer and an Nvidia fan you can get an Nvidia card (that is cheaper than the radeon 9700 pro anyways) and then buy a pci capture card.

the only problem with the ATI a-i-w r. 8500 (and all the older ones) is that they have a lower performence than their non awi cards. but with 9700 pro the story is defferent and it is running at it's full clock.

i still love ATI's card although Matrox is good too (for 2D only)

As mentioned, it really depends what you need the card for.

If you have a firewire camera, then you can just transfer the video that way. The graphics card you have will make very little difference.

If you need a card with video inputs to capture from the camera, then either a dedicated capture card, or an AIW is your best bet.

But once the video is on your system, the graphics card won't be doing very much. Video editing is CPU, RAM and HDD intensive. These are the systems that will be stressted the most, so try and buy decent ones smile

Quote:

But once the video is on your system, the graphics card won't be doing very much. Video editing is CPU, RAM and HDD intensive. These are the systems that will be stressted the most, so try and buy decent ones smile

Absolutely!!!
Get a MAC laugh