Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ramus111

SVCHOST.exe --- Resources Gone... Please Help

I am consistently having a problem with SVCHOST.EXT using up extraordinary resources when I am playing a game (all types, ranging from 1st Person Shooters to Strategy games). I can "end the process" & continue playing normally for a while until it builds back up. System processor usage (from SVCHOST.EXE alone) ranges anywhere from 20% - 80%. Anyway, it is VERY annoying.

I have searched through Microsoft’s website & found it to be of little help in my situation. I have also run through & found no adware running.

If anyone else has had this problem in the past (and possibly solved it) please let me know. Thanks much.

frown

System Specs:

Windows XP Pro

P4 2.1GHz

512MB DDR

GeForce 3 Ti200

Soundblaster Live 5.1

3Com 10/100

TDK CDRW

Some cool lights, switchs, fans & stuff

The Svchost.exe file is located in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load (these are the DLLs that need to load). There can be multiple instances of Svchost.exe running at the same time.

Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, so that separate services can be run depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This allows for better control and debugging.

Svchost.exe groups are identified in the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost

Each value under this key represents a separate Svchost group, and represents one instance of Svchost.exe. Each value is a REG_MULTI_SZ value and contains the services that run under that Svchost group. Each Svchost group can have more than one service_names extracted from the following registry key, whose Parameters key contains a ServiceDLL value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\ service

(Windows XP) Once you have the command line up, type Tasklist /SVC

From the listed applications, figure out the possible culprits and disable them. Examples would be Antivirus, Personal Firewalls, and/or poorly written TSRs.

HTH

Nope.... I have tried several versions of the Nvidia Detonator Drivers & no change in my problem.

SVCHost still is eating resources....

I am going to try exploring the registry as DS3Circuit explained.

Dunno if I can do much good..

Has anyone ever experianced this same problem??

Thanks

Have you got a realtek RTL 8139 network adapter?

If so replace it (or borrow a replacement for testing purposes.)

This can be the culprit!

I've experienced that too, with two specific circumstances:

1. When an outgoing Dial-Up connection is established, especially an Internet Connection.

2. If Microsoft Outlook (not Outlook Express) is installed.

I uninstalled Outlook and it vanished. I also noticed major slowdowns while connected to the net and downloading either from Kaaza or using a download manager (Getright). Again I saw svchost.exe going 99%. After disconnecting from the internet (closing the dial-up connection) svchost.exe took a rest.

i am having svchost.exe problem many times. if your svchost.exe 100% pc load, then you are exploited by trojan. your pc need to be scan with latest antivirus.. for sure.

last time when i installed win2k with sp2, without any antivirus, and firewall. my pc was hacked within 5 mins. a just installed pc being hack within 5 mins when i went on internet.

scvhost.exe caused 100% cpu, and later, trojan being transported into my pc.. then from there on.. lot of scary things.

scvhost.exe for my w2k running 2 thread at the same time.

one PID is 496, the other is 460. the PID 460 of scvhost.exe often being exploited for trojan xfer.. lucky this time i m using norton, good enough. it detect trajon straight away and quarantine it.

TFTP1844 (i can't find it on net. maybe it is named so by norton)

TFTP1528

TFTP1648

SOUND.EXE

THE ABOVE 4 TROJAN BEING DETECTED BY NORTON EVERYTIME MY SVCHOST.EXE BEING EXPLOITED 100%.

I WAS USING PRCVIEW.EXE (FREEWARE) TO FORCE TO SHUT THE SVCHOST.EXE PID 460 down. but after it shut down, sometime pc will be a bit unstable.. especially file browser and ie.

after force shutdown svchost.exe PID 460, the pc is free. but i was unable (i don't know how) to detect which ip and who exploited my pc, else i will send it to isp (singnet) to bring him down.

blackice pc protector fail to prevent this Scvhost.exe exploit everytime. but sygate able to stop it. sygate is good. regarding kerio personal firewall , well, it is too.... hard to understand how to use it. i can't even send mail after i installed it.

if anybody know how to deal with svchost.exe when it is exploited, pls tell me, so that i don't need to force to shut it down and bring unstable to my pc.

to you who having svchost.exe 100% cpu load problem, pls scan your pc with the latested norton antivirus and you will definately find trojan in ur pc. no doubt.

if anybody can share as i shared by knowledge and experience with you, send it to my email pls, sir_andrew@excite.com..

regards,

andrew

sir_andrew@exicte.com

singapore 20:38 17-01-05 home.