Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Curley_Boy

Security and the internet... the alarming truth!

My perants have just brought a new PC for video editing (but it will also be used for net access aswell..)

The follow extracts are me trying to explain the concept of internet security:

Mum: 'But we already have a virus checker'

Me: 'When was the last time you actually used it or updated it?'

Mum: 'Oh...'

Me: 'Dad how do you manage your passwords'

Dad: 'That's easy I just choose ones I can remember'

Me: 'Give me an example... do you use mixed upper and lower case, numbers and punctuation?'

Dad: 'Gods no I'd never remember it, I use the same one for everything'

Me: *Sigh* (that includes his logins and credit card details etc...)

Mum: 'But why do we need a firewall?'

Dad: '*Sigh* the one we have at work is a waste of time I can't access the bank online the firewall blocks it'

Mum: 'We've managed perfectly well without one before'

Me: 'But how on earth can you tell who is accessing the PC or stop someone breaking into it?'

And the conversation goes on... and gets more worrying etc etc

Here is what I have learnt about how the average person uses thier PC:

Most use Win9x (those that use an NT based OS, don't use any of its security features NTFS, restricted accounts, passwords etc).

Most don't patch thier OS.

Most don't use AV/Firewalls/Ad-ware or trojan scanners (unless forced to) those that do don't configure them properly or keep them upto date.

Most use the same plain lower case password for every website and login prompt they come to (regardless of what information that site requests).

Most aren't aware of alternatives to builtin apps like IE and Outlook Express etc.. (and use the MS ones in thier default unpatched configurations for everything).

When faced with an email with a dodgy subject line or a program sent by a 'friend' say 'Ohh I wonder what this is... lets open it and find out!'

And many people I've spoken to never bother to backup any of thier files or progams on a regular bases (if at all).

The results from speaking with both family and friends are alarming, the attitude seems to be 'well all that kinda stuff only happens to other people!'... I think people really need to wake up and take notice of internet security... or learn the hard way. (I know I did!) frown

What do you expect them to do? Learn it? Sorry but that is simply not possible in most cases. Those who do not NEED the information have jobs to do and simply do not have the time.

I would suggest sitting down and explaining the basics. If you do not live with them the I would setup everything so that you can enter remotely and troubleshoot for them. This allows you the time to access the system freely and secure it as you see fit.

Simply replacing their 9x system with an NT OS is a BIG leap in security in and of itself...from there you should be able to secure the rest quite easily yourself.

i do support !

trust me -i know what u mean!

Me : WHat version of windows you have

Them: Oh, i have office 95 i mean 98!

Me: Okay, have u been to windows update?

them: Windows what?

Me: how long have u had this system'

Them: oh, about 4 years.

Me: what ISP conneciton / provider u got

Them: i don't know what is an ISP? - i am just connected.

Never been to windows update in 4 years! this is a regular thing for me to hear!

Is scary the education level of these people, and these are people who put all their credit info into that new app that had a flashing banner on that web site and said it was secure!

like faq - people who do not have a basic understanding of computers should not be allowed to have one! PERIOD!

Not everyone knows everything (or even a fair amount) about major devices that they use. For example:

Me: When was the last time you have had your automatic transmission fluid and filter changed in any of your cars?

Half of this board: Change my transmission fluid? There's a filter?

Does this mean that they should stop driving cars? Well, probably, but that's another story smile. Just because they don't sit down with pirated software all night and on weekends to learn a device that they will only use to get email doesn't mean they shouldn't have it. If security is an issue, then show them what they need to know. As for me, I am giving my mother a PC with only Debian and fluxbox, and her flux menu will only have the things that I want her to use. There we go, simple as that. No biggie. Oh, and the best part is that she can't download any of that stupid spyware crap because it promises pictures of kittens or something else like that. And if need be, I can just have her go online, hit my webpage so I can see her IP, then ssh in and update her system when needed without her knowing what is going on, and no need for reboot afterward (unless I am setting up a kernel patch, which would be rare).

Quote:
Me: When was the last time you have had your automatic transmission fluid and filter changed in any of your cars?

Half of this board: Change my transmission fluid? There's a filter?

Other half of this board: Ermm... I drive a manual thank you very much....

Seriously though, you have to pass a test to drive a car, but you don't have to do anything to use a computer. This wouldn't be a problem if these people never went on the Internet, but sadly they do and since they constitute about 90% of computer users out there it is a problem. This is why I think that automatic up[censored] is a very good thing as it will help to prevent these users' machines from being used as anonymizing proxies / drones in a DDOS attack etc.

Quote:
"There is no privacy: GET USED TO IT!"

(The "AlaRmInG TrUtH"... big bro is watching you, in other words... or CAN watch you!)

Why would anyone want to watch me? I'm boring!
laugh

Quote:
Why would anyone want to watch me? I'm boring!
laugh

I do, I do!! I like boring people.. Ok, let me see.. Interesting, very interesting laugh

Thing is TOO many people p[ut valuable information on their computer because they are not aware of what could go wrong and do not bother to research about it, because they assume to dam much.

When you go buy a car - u research it, what it can do, what might be wrong with it, what could happen if something happens.

PC user don't - big diff there.

then of course when something bad happenes to them they blame the first tech support person they can find ebcause they did not want to take on the task of learning the basics, and yes, these are the basics! of computers.

Quote:
Thing is TOO many people p[ut valuable information on their computer because they are not aware of what could go wrong and do not bother to research about it, because they assume to dam much.

When you go buy a car - u research it, what it can do, what might be wrong with it, what could happen if something happens.

PC user don't - big diff there.

then of course when something bad happenes to them they blame the first tech support person they can find ebcause they did not want to take on the task of learning the basics, and yes, these are the basics! of computers.

You've obviously not worked in an automotive environment, as many (almost all) mechanics would cringe at reading your car statement. Did you know that many of the cars towed behind RVs have very short transmission lives? This is because the tranny fluid pump is normally turned off of the input shaft, which is driven by the engine. However, when a RWD car/truck is towed the engine isn't running but the tailshaft *is* turning, and thus so is the transmission (via the rear axle, differential, and then the driveshaft). People are always doing stupid things with their cars, like overloading them, running them low on oil, driving them even the brake linings are gone and it's just bare metal scraping. To these people, the PC ranks even lower than the car because the PC doesn't (normally) take them to work or make them any money (unless telecommuting of course), and is just another appliance.

Quote:

You've obviously not worked in an automotive environment, as many (almost all) mechanics would cringe at reading your car statement. Did you know that many of the cars towed behind RVs have very short transmission lives? This is because the tranny fluid pump is normally turned off of the input shaft, which is driven by the engine. However, when a RWD car/truck is towed the engine isn't running but the tailshaft *is* turning, and thus so is the transmission (via the rear axle, differential, and then the driveshaft). People are always doing stupid things with their cars, like overloading them, running them low on oil, driving them even the brake linings are gone and it's just bare metal scraping. To these people, the PC ranks even lower than the car because the PC doesn't (normally) take them to work or make them any money (unless telecommuting of course), and is just another appliance.

i will agree, as this applies to any situation which involves something being purchased by a human.

Myself, i learn all i can about something before i buy it, or do anything, my main point.....i think....., is far too many people do not bother to do their reasearch on items, and then get in a hissy fit when it does not work and will not take the blame them selves because they were too lazy or stupid to do some background work and learn about the said item before hand nor will they learn how to fix the item them selves, when often it only takes a few minutes of listening.

People who aren't educated on computers=job security (when I can get a job in PC work). Right now, as long as <strike>stupid idiots</strike> customers walk all over the floor, I have a job to clean that up.

It may be a pain in the ass, but it pays laugh