Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Christianb

How can I prevent the OS from checking for Sticky Key Combos

Hey Gang,

I just got a message from Windows saying you've held down shift 5 times and sticky keys has been enabled.... I told it to ignore that sticky key combo and that put a keyboard tray icon in my system tray frown. I would like to, if possible, disable the sticky keys service if there is one or a way of doing it. I'm not disabled and nor are any of my friends that use my computer (all that's a matter of opinion :D)and it's probably eating CPU cycles.

For the record I did get the Stick Keys icon out of my system tray. Also that's a really ugly sticky keys tray icon.

Thanks,

Christian Blackburn

It's been a while since I 'fixed' that, but here goes:

Edit the sysoc.ini file and remove the 'hide,' from the accessibility line, and you should be able to remove it from Add/Remove Programs-->Windows Components.

Adam

Hi Adam,

Rock On! Thanks Adam. I can understand that Microsoft is worried about getting sued in relation to accesibility, but that does mean we're all disabled and all should have to have that stuff running smile.

Thanks Amigo,

Christian

I'll tell you a funny story I used to work at MS and we had these two guys there that were unbelievably lazy. We all rejoiced when they were canned. One of them was my friend Jon, he got hired on in the Accessibilities group as a lab manager and get this his bos was blind. I thought it was perfect for him and I knew he'd never, intentionally anyways, leave that job. However it would seem that some of his sight-having co-workers caught on to his laziness and had him canned just the same. Now he's back at MS again on a third job, maybe he's learned his lesson I don't know frown .

-Christian

Hi Adam,

I just tried your suggestion in Win2K and there were any files named "sysoc.ini" or "sys0c.ini". I couldn't find any files named "sys*.ini" or files containing hide in the WINNT folder that were OS related. Can you very that file name for me?

Thanks,

Christian

I'm sorry... It's sysoc.inf located in C:\WINNT\inf\ Sorry again..!

smile

The line you're looking for is:

AccessUtil=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,optional.inf,HIDE,7

It shoud read:

AccessUtil=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,optional.inf,7

Hi Adam,

I guess I failed to pay close enough attention to details and didn't use your extact syntax:

,n instead I used

,,n but that worked fine too. I was able to uninstall tons of stupid windows components. I still have to do some thing to get the fax service to uninstall, because it wouldn't let me even after I enabled that as an uninstall option. I think I'll just remove the printer and disable the service and then maybe it'll let me remove the files too in Add/Remove. I nixed imaging, minesweaper - the world's most lame game, word pad, hyperterminal, dialer, and chat. I'm all set.

Thanks Again Amigo,

Christian