Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SnapperOne

No MS-Office icons or "Start\New Office Document"

Installed an existing copy of Microsoft Office2000 Professional SR-1 on a new (replacement) hard drive. Unlike our original install on the old hard drive, there are no desktop icons for Word, Excell, Access, etc......and, when we click on "Start"/"New Office Document" there is no pop-up box showing short-cuts to "Office" features......... We have uninstalled and reinstalled the program several times........same result - no icons, no connection to New Office Document.

Any ideas?

AlecStaar

Tried "Repair". Didn't work. But, I think I may not have correctly explained what I'm trying to have show up when I click "Start".

Before I installed the new hard drive (and as it still occurs on another PC of ours), when we clicked on "Start", in space above "Programs" there was a shortcut to "New Office Document". When we clicked on this, a large multi-tabbed box would open that would allow us to start any new Office project......word processing, spreadsheet, etc..... This "master box" eliminated the need to have multiple short-cuts cluttering the "Start" button.

SnapperOne

Quote:
AlecStaar

Tried "Repair". Didn't work. But, I think I may not have correctly explained what I'm trying to have show up when I click "Start".

Before I installed the new hard drive (and as it still occurs on another PC of ours), when we clicked on "Start", in space above "Programs" there was a shortcut to "New Office Document". When we clicked on this, a large multi-tabbed box would open that would allow us to start any new Office project......word processing, spreadsheet, etc..... This "master box" eliminated the need to have multiple short-cuts cluttering the "Start" button.

SnapperOne

The files that you are looking for should be in:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Shortcut Bar\Office\New Office Document.lnk
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Shortcut Bar\Office\Open Office Document.lnk

Just 'copy' these shortcuts to your desktop or the start menu.

jimf43 -

Thanks for the hint. Unfortunately, it didn't work. Or, I should say it didn't work consistently.

The first time I attempted to use either icon from either Start or Desktop, I was directed to insert the Office CD. Office did some playing around, after which both icons "seemed" to work. Then TaDa they stopped. Just a blank box in the taskbar.

That's it!

I'm done!

The program wins!

I'm just too tired to keep fooling with it! I'll just use the desktop icons to start the Office Programs and open files. Life is just too short.

Thanks again for your help............SnapperOne