Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
radx

temporarily hangs in Windows XP

I'm using Windows XP and frequently the system freezes up for a short 200-400 miliseconds and then resumes. I notice this usually especially when listening to music and the music starts to stuck and repeat it self very weirdly. I'd say just like in a game when the computer crashes totally and you have the music from the game still coming out from your speakers but in this repeatve way.

When this happens i have nothing running other than Winamp or i am watching a movie using Windows Media player (without winamp or anything else runing).

I've tried up[censored] the graphic drivers and the Via4in1 drivers as well as the soundcard drivers but to no help.

My system:

Motherboard: Asus V7777-Raid board.

Cpu: AMD 1.4ghz

512MB DDR CAS 2.5

Graphic card: Asus 8170DDR (Geforce4 mx 440)

I had this problem right before my harddrive crashed... You might want to think about making a backup of your important data wink

Do you have Service Pack 1 installed? cuz i've this problem when i have lots of windows open and when i'm trying to close them all at onece the taskbar will hang for around 5 sec(b4 sp1) and now 0.5 sec(with sp1).

I'm using Windows XP and frequently the system freezes up for a short 200-400 miliseconds and then resumes. I notice this usually especially when listening to music and the music starts to stuck and repeat it self very weirdly.

Had the very same problem after installing an Iomega ZIP drive with the Iomegaware and having it not attached. Does that sound familiar?

Thanks for the replies!

I have tried to install the latest directx9. I have yet to see if it's better though. I have indeed SP1 and all the latest updates from Windows Update. Needless to say but i say it anyways, my copy is not pirate version. I do not have a SBLive! Card either. Someone recommended i should try to install the VIA PCI Latency patch for VIA Chipsets. Any clues if this is a safe way? The site Viahardware no longer runs so i cant really know if it's safe to use with the latest 4in1 drivers either.

I think MSN Messenger was in the background, i will try to disable it and see if it helps.

Merry Christmas laugh

I've also known indexing to create a few pauses now and then. Have you checked your event viewer for obvious errors?

I installed the latest version of:

- Via 4 in 1 driver

- DirectX 9.0 (offical on Microsoft's website)

- Nvidia ref drivers GFX card

And i moved the swap file to a faster less fragment drive.

Disabled indexing in total on all drives and the service.

What else can i do?

The sound still hangs during playback. Even if there's nothing basicly runing in the background!

Background processes:

Norton Firewall 2003

WinDVD Tray icon

Norton Antivirus 2003

G6 FTPServer

Du Meter

I always had these programs runing while i had Windows 2000 and i never experienced problem, like now.

Help please

wow..that's a lot of things to do.. uhhh..

Most of which i dont dare to do even if it says it works great.

I would like to know what it does and be more sure about it.

But i'll look into some of them wink

Here is a page that explains in deept what those services in Windows 2k/XP really are all about (but at point of writing the server was down)

http://www.blackviper.com/WIN2K/servicecfg.htm

I will try to get back once i poked around here a bit.

Thanks