Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
firedancer

Connecting 2 machines in a home lan

I am trying to have two machines running XP Pro connect to share their files through a hub. Both machines have successfully accessed a larger LAN in the past, but for some reason they refuse to cooperate now...

Both machines can ping themselves, as well as the other machine.

Both machines use a manually set IP address and use the same subnet mask

Both machines are in the same work group, and can see each other. But they can't connect to each other.

None of the machines have enabled XP's firewall.

One machine can be booted into Win98, from which it is possible to successfully send a WinPopUp message to the WinXP client. Apart from that, Win98 behaves exactly as XP.

Any ideas of how this problem can be solved?

www.wown.com

www.practicallynetworked.com

barring those info loaded websites for the SOHO user.

Are there accounts on each machine for you to log into, that are the same on the other machine?

start \ run \ "\\mymachine\C$" (without the quotes), returns a login prompt or an error message?

The 98 machine requires that you log in to the XP machine with an account, or enable the guest account on the XP machine.

More info needed.

Turn off simple file sharing

To disable simple file sharing:

Click Start,

click My Computer.

Tools menu,

click Folder Options,

click the View tab.

In the Advanced Settings section, clear the "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)" check box.

Click OK.

I was able to map a drive to the hidden ($) share without the "Guest" prompt.

I would not recommend disabling simple file sharing unless you are already familiar with NT-style ACL's. If you are not stop and read up on them first.

I would advise you to leave simple file sharing enabled. What this does is makes it so that anytime someone tries to access your files over the network they authenticate automatically against the guest account. This is also part of the reason that you can't connect to the admin shares on the box(guest account not having admin access). All you should have to do is create a share and allow it to be connected to over the network. I would also highly not recommend sharing out your C drive.