Windows 2000

Athlon 1.1 ghz cpu

256 pc-133 ram

13 gig hd

120 gig hd

some old creative soundcard

radeon 7200 32ddr

etc...

I've been trying to fix this for the past couple weeks. Out of nowhere while playing either single player or online, it'll just freeze up like a stutter for a second or two. It doesn't sound major, but god does it get annoying. Even in safe mode, at terrible resolution, software rendering, no sound, etc, it still does the skip. I've got Windows 2k service pack 3, all updated drivers, and the latest ut patch.

Something possibly unrelated I noticed is with my media player (mplayer2)

When I had 98, I could run 15+ videos in media player at the same time with no problem. In 2000, if I run 8 or more, it severley bogs down my computer to the point of no return. What's the deal, this is driving me insane. I'm dual booting now, but I'd like to just use 2000 if possible.

SOmething else I noticed through the task manager, after 5 videos at once, my processer is around 90%. Any answers would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

;( I'm just trying to figure out why anyone would want even two or three videos playing at once, let alone 15!

How do you run it? D3D or OGL?

Another thought: 256 Megs memory may be on the low end and you are swapping textures from the HD.

W2K itself wants alot of memory to run. UT is also a memory hog.

I use d3d to run it, and I don't think it's my sound card. I tried taking out my sound card and using the terrible on-board sound card on my motherboard, and the same thing happened. And for the several videos at once, I don't really have a reason, heh. It just looks cool having 9 videos playing at once I guess.

Sometime this week I'll try finding some more ram to throw in, if that's the problem that would be fairly easy to fix

I remember some of the older nVidia drivers caused a memory leak with this game under 2k/XP. But an ATI card is being used here. Prehaps they had the fault too.

Also for UT the most efficient video API's are:

OGL

D3D

Glide

Software

So try OGL but make sure you have the latest ATI drivers loaded.

Quote:
Also for UT the most efficient video API's are:

OGL
D3D
Glide
Software

So try OGL but make sure you have the latest ATI drivers loaded.
Depends on your vid card and settings on the OpenGL vs D3D. The latest OpenGL renderer was very good though (http://unreal.epicgames.com) and is a tad faster than D3D (in my config). If you grab the latest renderers don't be surprised if the latest beta D3D driver doesn't work - it's crap!

Back on topic:

It's very unlikey to be RAM (UT runs very well on machines with 256MB).
Have you got any joysticks loaded/enabled?
Set your desktop and game resolution settings to be the same (one of my friends said this help him!)